On the former constraints on Eastern European science: A case illustration of the AvH-fellowship accessability to scholars of the former Czechoslovakia
- 64 Downloads
A survey is presented showing an above-average performance by candidates of several Central/Eastern European countries in the world-wide competition for the Alexander von Humboldt fellowships in the period before 1989, in spite of various administrative obstacles imposed by their countries. The success rate can be linked to the traditionally relatively high level of educational standards there. The administrative obstacles are illustrated by taking the former Czechoslovakia as an example, and also by way of a personal case study.
KeywordsShort Visit Personal Letter Foreign Scholar Personal Invitation Risky Play
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung 1953–1993, 40-Jahresbericht, Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung, Bonn, 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung Jahresbericht 1996, Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung, Bonn, 1997, and the preceding volumesGoogle Scholar
- 3.Editorial:Nature 344 (1990) 599.Google Scholar
- 4.Editorial:Nature 372 (1994) 591.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Kundera:The Joke, Faber and Faber, London, 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Kundera:The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, Faber and Faber, London, 1980.Google Scholar