Impaired hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis function in men with diabetes mellitus
In view of association of diabetes mellitus and male infertility, present study was designed to investigate the functional status of hypothalamic pituitary gonadal (HPG) axis in diabetic men. Thirty-five diabetic men (BMI 22.24±0.21) in the age group 20–40 (30.6±4.7) years were selected. Twenty-five healthy men (BMI 23.85±0.25), in the same age group (29.5±4.8) served as control. Blood samples were collected for hormonal and biochemical estimations. Diabetic men had significantly low serum testosterone with low LH and FSH, hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia, hypoalbuminemia and increased oxidative stress. Low serum testosterone in diabetic men was accompanied by low LH and FSH; the inability of the pituitary gland to respond appropriately to a decline in testosterone implying central effect of high serum glucose on the interaction between the nervous and endocrine system. Nutritional deficiency, increased oxidative stress and increased aromatase activity due to excessive body fat might have also contributed to low serum testosterone.
Key wordsDiabetes Mellitus Testosterone Hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis Oxidative stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Remzi Cevik, Ali Gur, Suat Acar, Kemal Nas and Ayoegül Jale Sarac. (2004). Hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis hormones and cortisol in both menstrual phases of women with chronic fatigue syndrome and effect of depressive mood on these hormones. BMC Musculoskelet. Disord. 5, 47–51.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.McCormick, D.B. and Greene, H.L. (1988). Tietz textbook of Clinical Chemistry. Eds. Burtis, C.A. and Ashwood, E.R. pp. 1025. W B Saunders Company, USA.Google Scholar
- 6.Sinhuber, R.O., Yu, T.C. and Yu, T.C. (1958). Characterization of the red pigment formed in the thiobarbituric acid determination of oxidative rancidity. Food Res. 23, 626–630.Google Scholar
- 11.Emanuele, M.A. and Emanuele, N. (2001). Alcohol and the male reproductive system. Alcohol Research & Health. 25 (4), 282–287.Google Scholar
- 14.Shah Siddharth, N. (2000). Alpha lipic acid in diabetes, The Asian Journal of Diabetology 12, 17.Google Scholar
- 15.Maneesh, M., Jayalekshmi, H., Sanjiba Dutta, Amit Chakrabarti and Vasudevan, D.M. (2005). Effect of chronic ethanol administration on testicular antioxidant system and steroidogenic enzyme activity in rats. Indian J. Exp. Biol. (In Press).Google Scholar
- 20.Lenzi, A., Cualosso, F., Gandini, L., Lombardo, F. and Dondero, F. (1993). Placebo controlled; double-blind cross over trial glutathione therapy, in male infertility. Hum. Reprod. 9, 2044Google Scholar