Patterns of regeneration in vessels of human diseased muscle and skin
- 20 Downloads
Regenerating vessels from 36 muscle biopsies and 12 skin biopsies pertaining to patients with the clinical and histological diagnosis of dermatomyositis-polymyositis and other inflammatory myopathies were described ultrastructurally. The following characteristics of vascular regeneration were encountered : a) alternation of thin and thick endothelial cells, b) superimposed segments of endothelial cytoplasm with formation of twisted intercellular junctions, c) long and complex intraluminal endothelial projections, d) discontinuous and porous perivascular basement lamina or multilaminated basement lamina. Some vessels featured only two or three of the mentioned characteristics. Endothelial fenestrations were occasionally encountered in the skin capillaries and were an exception in the muscle capillaries. In the skin there were aspects suggesting that intercalation of perivascular cells in the regenerating endothelial wall may occur. Most capillaries were in the final stage of regeneration.
Key wordsRegenerating vessels Dermatomyositis Ultrastructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aloisi M, Giacomin C, Tessari R (1970) Growth of elementary blood vessel in diffusion chambers I Process of formation and conditioning factors. Virchows Arch Abt B Zellpath 6:350–364Google Scholar
- Aloisi M, Schiaffino S (1971) Growth of elementary blood vessels in diffusion chambers II Electron microscopy of capillary morphogenesis. Virchows Arch Abt B Zellpath 8:328–341Google Scholar
- Chalkley HW, Algire GH, Morris HP (1946) Effect of the level of dietary protein on vascular repair in wounds. J Natl Cancer Inst 6:363–372Google Scholar
- Fawcett DW (1963) Comparative observations on the fine structure of blood capillaries. In: The peripheral blood vessels, Williams and Wilkins Co, Baltimore, p 17Google Scholar
- Ludatscher RM (1978) Ultrastructure of human dermal blood vessels with special reference to the endothelial filaments. Virchows Arch Abt B Zellpath 27:347–357Google Scholar
- Majno G (1965) Ultrastructure of the vascular membrane. In: Handbook of physiology, vol 3, Sec 2. Am Physiol Soc, Washington DC, p 2293Google Scholar
- Matsuhashi K (1961) Electron microscopic observations of the corneal vascularization. J Clin Ophthalmol 15:121–127Google Scholar