Base hydrolysis ofcis-(methyl/ethylamine)bis(ethylenediamine) (salicylato)cobalt(III) complexes
- 33 Downloads
The kinetics of the base hydrolysis ofcis-[Co(en)2(RNH2)-(SalH)]2+ (R=Me or Et; SalH=HOC6H4CO 2 − ) were investigated in aqueous ClO 4 − in the 0.004–0.450 mol dm−3 [OH−] range, I=0.50 mol dm−3 at 30–40°C. The phenoxide species is hydrolysed via [OH−]-independent and [OH−]-dependent paths, the latter being first order in [OH−]. The high rate of alkali-independent hydrolysis of the phenoxide species is associated with high ΔH≠ and ΔS≠ values, in keeping with the SNICB mechanism involving an amido conjugate base generated by the phenoxide-assisted NH-deprotonation of the coordinated amine. The [OH−]-dependent path also involves the conventional SN1 CB mechanism. The rate constant, k1, for the SNICB path exhibits a steric acceleration with the increasing size of the non-labile alkylamine, whereas the rate constant, k2, for the SN1CB path shows a reverse trend.
KeywordsDependent Path Transition Meet Base Hydrolysis Phenoxide Conjugate Base
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (5).C. Blakeley and M. L. Tobe,J. Chem. Soc. Dalton. Trans., 1775 (1987).Google Scholar
- (6).D. A. House and M. L. Tobe,J. Chem. Soc. Dalton. Trans., 853 (1989).Google Scholar
- (8).S. C. Chan and F. Leh,J. Chem. Soc. (A), 129 (1966).Google Scholar
- (9).G. C. Pradhan,J. Indian Chem. Soc., in press.Google Scholar
- (10).R. C. Weast,Hand book of Chemistry and Physics, 60th Edn. CRC Press Inc., Florida, 1980, Page-D-161.Google Scholar