Distribution of late Quaternary tephra layers in the western part of the Ulleung Basin, East Sea
- 45 Downloads
Lithologies and stratigraphic relationships of late Quaternary core sediments were examined in three piston cores, recovered from the western Ulleung Basin. The approximately 8-m long cores consist of muddy sediments that are interbedded with lapilli and ash layers. The morphological and major element compositional studies suggest that volcanic glass shards of the tephra layers are equivalent to those of fallout deposits of the Ulleung—Oki (ca. 9.3 ka), Aira—Tanzawa (ca. 22–24.3 ka), and Ulleung—Yamato (ca. 25–33 ka). The occurrence of the lapilli layers in the western Ulleung Basin implies that the known fallout distribution of pumicetype glass shards can be extended about 50 to 100 km to the west.
Key wordstephra layers glass shards western Ulleung Basin East Sea late Quaternary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arai, F., Machida, H. and Sugihara, S., 1977, Characteristics of the Late Pleistocene marker-tephras of South Kanto, Central Japan. The Quaternary Research, 16, 19–40.Google Scholar
- Chun, J.-H., Han, S.-J., Cheong, D.-K., Huh, S., Bahk, J.-J. and Choi, D.-L., 1998, Tephrostratigraphy of deep-sea sediments around submarine channels, northeastem Ulleung Basin. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 34, 192–210. (in Korean with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Kim, I.-S., Park, M.-H., Lee, Y., Ryu, B.-J. and Yu, K.-M., 2003, Geological and geochemical studies on the late Quaternary sedimentary environment of the southwestern Ulleung Basin, East Sea. Economic and Environmental Geology, 36, 9–15, (in Korean with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Machida, H. and Arai, F., 1992, Atlas of Tephra in and around Japan. Univ. Tokyo Press, Tokyo, 276 p. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Machida, H., Arai, F., Lee, B.-S., Moriwaki, H. and Furuta, T., 1984, Late Quaternary tephras in Ulleung-do Island. Journal of Geography, 93, 1–14.Google Scholar
- Park, M.-H., Ryu, B.-J., Kim, I.-S., Lee, Y., Cheong, T. and Yu, K.-M., 2002. Stratigraphical and sedimentological studies on core sediments from the southwestern Ulleung Basin, East Sea. Economic and Environmental Geology, 35, 171–177. (in Korean with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Paull, C.K. and Ussler, W., 2001. History and significance of gas sampling during DSDP and ODP drilling associated with gas hydrates. In: Paull, C.K. and Dillon, W.P. (eds.), Natural Gas Hydrates: Occurrence, Distribution and Detection. Am. Geophys. Union, Washington, D.C., Geophys. Monogr. 124 p. 53–65.Google Scholar