A study of gastric kinetics
From the various investigations of gastric emptying described in the literature, radionuclide labelling of meals appears to provide the most suitable technique. The emptying patterns of different99mTc-DTPA carriers were studied in healthy volunteers, compared with patterns found after ingestion of a fried egg incorporating99mTc-serum albumin. The results are described and discussed. They seem to suggest that there are different modalities of gastric emptying when different meals and markers are used.
Key-wordsGastric kinetics Isotope carriers Radionuclides Scintigraphy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bittner R., Beger H. G., Meves M., Kraas E., Gogler H.: Influence of nutritive density of a meal on gastric emptying in duodenal ulcer patients. In:Duthie H. L. (Ed.): Gastrointestinal motility in health and disease. MTP, Lancaster, 1978; p. 205.Google Scholar
- 3.Chauduri Tapan K., Greenwald A. J., Heading R. C., Chauduri Tuhin K.: A new radioisotopic technic for the measurement of gastric emptying time of solid meal — Amer. J. Gastroent.65, 46, 1976.Google Scholar
- 4.Coates G., Gilday D. L., Cradduck T. C.: Measurement of the rate of stomach emptying using indium-113m and a 10-crystal rectilinear scanner — J. Canad. med. Ass.108, 180, 1973.Google Scholar
- 9.Hunt J. M., Knox M. T.: A relation between the chain length of fatty acids and the slowing of gastric emptying — J. Physiol. (Lond.)194, 327, 1968.Google Scholar
- 10.Hunt J. M., Knox M. T.: The slowing of gastric emptying by nine acids — J. Physiol. (Lond.)201, 161, 1969.Google Scholar
- 17.Yamagishi T., Debas H. T.: Cholecystokinin inhibits gastric emptying by acting on both proximal stomach and pylorus — Amer. J. Physiol.234, E375, 1978.Google Scholar