Intracranial complications of otitis media: In retrospect
- 48 Downloads
Evaluating intracranial complications of otitis media.
An Evaluative study of 106 cases of intracranial complications secondary to otitis media.
Diagnosis is based on history, clinical exam (general, systemic and ENT), investigations hemogram, X-ray mastoid CT scan brain and mastoid.
IV Higher Antibiotics.
Surgery for complicating pathology:
Pus (in Abscesses)-bram canula aspiration.
Lateral sinus thrombosis (thrombus removal),
Otitic hydrocephalus (epidural catheterization).
Primary disease eradication:
Exploration of mastoid.
Fully recovered patients without residual neurodeficit (85%), Morbidity (6%) CSF otorrhoea secondary to otitic hydrocephalus (9%) Mortality: preoperative (3%) and postoperative (6%).
Otological approaches for management of cases of intracranial complications of otitis media are equally comparable with results by neurosurgical approaches of management. Therefore, holding promise if applied in the rural and peripheral parts of India with limited resources even with absence of the expertise of Neurosurgical Department.
Key WordsOtitis media intracramial complications Lateral sinus thrombosis otitic hydrocephalus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mawson SR. Complications of suppurative otitis media. Diseases of the Ear: London: Published by Edward Arnold: 1988: p. 479–507.Google Scholar
- 3.Freeman J. Changing concepts in the management of otitic intracranial infections: Use of computerized axial tomography in early detection and monitoring of cerebritis: Laryngoscope. 1984.Google Scholar
- 4.Carlos MC, Fernandes Intracranial otogenic complications with antibiotic ear and CT scan. Laryngoscope 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Burgos SAJ, Aleman O, Polo TL. et al. Otitic Hydrocephalus: A report of two cases: Acta Otorhinolaryngol Esp 1999: 50: 553–7.Google Scholar
- 9.Brown M. Ossicular damage in chronic middle ear infections. Excerpta Media Otorhinolaryngol Esp 1999: 45.Google Scholar
- 11.Gulati J. Study of bacterial flora in chronic suppurative otitis media: Indian J Otolaryngol 1969: 21.Google Scholar