The role of neoadjuvant and adjuvant chemotherapy regimens consisting of different combinations of drugs in the treatment of advanced oral cancer
We performed a retrospective analysis on the effect of neoadjuvant chemotherapy with three cycles of methotrexate (100 mg/m2 on day 1), cisplatin (90 mg/m2 on day 1) and bleomycin (20 mg/m2 on day 1–5) with 21 d gap between each cycle in 44 patients with advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the cheek, lip and tongue followed by surgery and adjuvant chemotherapy consisting of cisplatin (90 mg/m2 on day 1), Mitomycin C (6 mg/m2 on day 1) and 5-fluorouracil (1000 mg/m2 120 h continuous infusion from day 1) repeated every 3 weeks for three cycles.
Following induction chemotherapy, complete response was observed in 11 out of 44 patients (25%), and a partial response in a further 28 patients (64%).
The overall median survival of all patients was 29 months and those in stage III and stage IV were 30 and 15 months respectively (P<0.001). The median duration of the time to relapse in patients who responded to adjuvant chemotherapy was 28 months.
The main toxic effect was vomiting followed by hematological toxicity. No treatment-related deaths occurred.
The regimen showed a significant response, encouraging median survival and a good tolerability profile.
Keywordsoral cancer combination chemotherapy neoadjuvant adjuvant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Taylor SG. Chemotherapy in the combined modality treatment of head and neck cancer. In: Kagan AR and Miles J (eds).Head and Neck Oncology: Clinical Management. Pergamon Press: New York, 1989, pp 166–170.Google Scholar
- 7.Al-Saraf M. Head and neck cancer: chemotherapy concepts.Semin Oncol 1988;15: 70–85.Google Scholar
- 8.Medina W, Mediondo O, Maguire L, Cronin J. Radiation therapy, continuous infusion 5-FU and mitomycin for head and neck cancer and cancer of esophagus.Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1986;5: 133, 518.Google Scholar
- 9.International Union Against Cancer. TNM—Atlas. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.Google Scholar
- 12.Peto R, Peto J. Asymptomatically efficient rank invariant test procedures.J R Statist Assoc 1972;135: 185–198.Google Scholar