Perinatal autopsy—A seven-year study
A retrospective analysis of autopsies conducted on perinatal deaths during 7 years period (Oct 1983 to Sept 1990) was done. There were 650 neonatal deaths and 944 still births during the study period. Autopsy rates among neonates and still births were 33% and 4.9% respectively. There ware significant findings in 97.2% of neonatal deaths and in all still births. Pulmonary lesions followed by congenital malformations were the major pathological findings. Infection was observed among smaller number of babies compared to other Indian studies. Autopsy revealed many internal congenital malformations which were not diagnosed clinically. Autopsy changed or added to clinical diagnosis in 59.5% of cases. Perinatal autopsy is highly productive in our set up.
Key wordsAutopsy Neonatal deaths Still birth Congenital malformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Wheeler MS, Bottles K. One resident's view of autopsy.Arch Pathol Lab Med 1985; 78: 311–313.Google Scholar
- 7.Roberts WC. The autopsy. Its decline and a suggestion for its revival.N Eng J Med 1978; 299: 332–338.Google Scholar
- 8.Goldman L, Sayson R, Robbins S. The value of autopsy in 3 medical cases.N Eng J Med 1983; 308: 1000–1005.Google Scholar
- 13.Govt. of India. Health information of India 1992. DGHS New Delhi.Google Scholar
- 14.Sophir O. Autopsy Diagnosis and technic. Newyork, Paul B.Hoelec Inc 1958.Google Scholar
- 15.Greshan GA, Truene AP.Postmortem procedures (An illustrated Textbook). London, Wolfe Medical publication Ltd. 1979.Google Scholar
- 16.Ruston DI. Prognostic role of the perinatal postmortem.Brit J of Hosp Med 1994; 52: 450–454.Google Scholar
- 18.Mehdi Z, Naidu PM, Gopal Rao. Incidence and causes of perinatal mortality in Hyderabed.Ind J Med Res 1961; 49: 897–906.Google Scholar
- 20.Maheshwary HB, Teja K, Savita R, Kumar S. Causes of late fetal and neonatal deaths.Indian Pediatr 1977; 8: 417–421.Google Scholar
- 21.Stolman CJ, Castello F, Yorio M, Mautone S. Attitudes of pediatricians & pediatric residents towards obtaining permission for autopsy.Arch Pediatr and adolescent Med. 1994; 148: 843–847.Google Scholar
- 22.Ruston DI. West midlands perinatal mortality survey 1987.Br J Obst & Gyn 1991; 98: 624–627.Google Scholar