ACTH 1–17 effects in acute myeloid leukemia
- 17 Downloads
We conducted a double blind randomized clinical study with 100 μg i.v. ACTH 1–17 versusplacebo in 40 consecutive acute myelocytic leukemia patients (AML). The same regimen 3+7 schedule, employing daunorubicin (DNR) associated with cytosine-arabinoside (ARA-C), was applied as remission induction therapy to all patients. Prednisone therapy was performed as necessary. Twenty patients, receiving ACTH 1–17, were compared with 20 other patients receivingplacebo in regard to remission rate, hemorrhagic and infective complications, remission duration and survival. No significant difference was observed between the 2 groups for all parameters taken into consideration. The two year actuarial curves of remission duration and survival showed a trend in favour of the ACTH 1–17 group. It needs a longer follow-up to evaluate if ACTH 1–17 will represent an effective adjuvant of the induction chemotherapy for the long-term control of the acute myelocytic leukemia.
Key-wordsACTH 1–17 Acute myelocytic leukemia Circadian rhythms DNR and ARA-C 3+7 protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cardoso S. S., Scheving L. E., Halberg F.: Mortality of mice as influenced by the hour of the day of drug (ara-c) administration—Pharmacologist12, 302, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.Halberg F., Haus E., Cardoso S. S., Scheving L. E., Kühl J. F. W., Shiotsuka R., Rosene G., Pauly J. E., Runge W., Spalding J. F., Lee J. K., Good R. A.: Toward a chronotherapy of neoplasia: tolerance of treatment depends upon host rhythms—Experientia (Basel)24, 909, 1973.Google Scholar
- 7.Philippens K. M. H., Scheving L. E.: Chronotoxic and therapeutic effects of adriamycin in Ehrlich ascites tumor-bearing NMRI-mice—Chronobiologia6, 143, 1979. (abstract)Google Scholar
- 8.Rai K. R., Holland J. F., Glidewell O. J., Weinberg V., Brunner K., Obrecht J. P., Preisler H. D., Nawabi I. W., Pracer D., Carey R. W., Cooper M. R., Haurani F., Hutchinson J. L., Silver R. T., Falkson G., Wiernik P., Hoagland H. C., Bloomfield C. D., Watson J. G., Gottlieb A., Ramanan S. V., Blom J., Nissen N. I., Bank A., Ellison R. R., Kung F., Henry P., Ross McIntyre, Kaan S. K.: Treatment of acute myelocytic leukemia: a study by cancer and leukemia group B—Blood58, (6), 1981.Google Scholar
- 9.Reinberg A., Guillemant S., Ghata N. J., Guillemant J., Touitou Y., Dupont W., Lagoguey M., Bourgeots Ph., Brière L., Fraboulet G., Guillet Ph.: Clinical chronopharmacology of ACTH 1–17. I. Effects on plasma cortisol and urinary 17-hydroxycorticosteroids—Chronobiologia7, 513, 1980.PubMedGoogle Scholar