Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in rat uterus during peri-implantation
- 39 Downloads
The first distinct mark of rodent implantation is the increased vascular permeability and significant angiogenesis at the sites of blastocyst implantation, but its mechanism is not clearly defined. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is the key mediator for angiogenesis during embryogenesis and adult span and also serves as a vascular permeability factor. The aim of this study is to explore VEGF regulation mechanism and the possible role that VEGF plays in implantation by studying the VEGF expression and angiogenesis in the rat uterus during estrous cycle, ovarioectomized and peri-implantation stages usingin situ message RNA hybridization and confocal laser scanning techniques. The results indicated that VEGF was regulated by ovarian steroid hormones. VEGF expression before implantation was localized at luminal epithelium, shifted to stroma as implantation initiated and extensively located at the decidualizing stroma region after implantation. Bandeiraea simplicifolia-1 (BS-1) agglutinin and antibody against von Willebrand factor (vWF) were used to mark the endothelial cells and blood vessels. The results showed that the active angiogenesis occurred during the implantation process and this effect was probably mediated by VEGF. The results suggest that under the regulation of ovarian steroid hormones, VEGF plays an essential role in angiogenesis and increasing vascular permeability in endometrium, which are necessary for successful implantation.
Keywordsrat vascular endothelial growth factor embryo implantation angiogenesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Thomas, K. A., Hewelman, D. M., Kuang, W. J. et al., Vascular endothelial growth factor, a potent and selective angiogenic agent, J. Biol. Chem., 1996, 271(2): 603.Google Scholar
- 9.Knobil, E., Neill, J. D., The Physiology of Reproduction, Vol. 2, New York: Raven Press, 1988, 1898.Google Scholar
- 10.Bausero, P., Cavaille, F., Meduri, G. et al., Paracrine action of vascular endothelial growth factor in the human endometrium: production and target sites, and hormonal regulation, Angiogenesis, 1998, 2: 167.Google Scholar
- 11.Cullinan-Bove, K., Kathleen, C. D., Koos, R. D., Vascular endothelial growth factor/vascular permeability factor expression in the rat uterus: rapid stimulation by estrogen correlates with estrogen-induced increases in uterine capillary permeability and growth, Endocrinology, 1993, 133: 829.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Psychoys, A., Endocrine control of egg implantation, in Handbook of Physiology (eds. Greep, R. O., Astwood, E. G., Geiger, S. R.), Washington DC: American Physiology Society, 1973a, 187.Google Scholar