The effect of natural convection on the shape and movement of the melt-solid interface in the controlled solidification of lead
Experiments are reported on the study of the effect of natural convection on the controlled solidification of lead under conditions of nearly unidirectional heat flow within the system. The experimentally found shape and position of the solid-melt interface was reasonably well predicted by the consideration of heat transfer by natural convection from the melt to the solid surface. Transient runs were also carried out and here the rate of movement of the melt-solid interface was readily predicted from the (numerical) solution of the appropriate unsteady state conduction equation.
KeywordsHeat Transfer Coefficient Natural Convection Metallurgical Transaction Volume Solidification Front Cold Wall
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. A. Tiller:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1962, vol. 224, p. 448.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Chalmers:Principles of Solidification, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1964.Google Scholar
- 3.R. W. Ruddle and A. L. Mincher:J. Inst. Metals, 1950–51, vol. 78, p. 229.Google Scholar
- 4.G. S. Cole and G. F. Boiling:Trans. Met. Soc. AIME, 1965, vol. 233, p. 1568.Google Scholar
- 5.D. R. Uhlmann, T. P. Seward, III, and B. Chalmers:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1966, vol. 236, p. 527.Google Scholar
- 7.G. S. Cole and W. C. Winegard:J. Inst. Metals, 1964–65, vol. 93, p. 153.Google Scholar
- 9.G. S. Cole:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1967, vol. 239, p. 1287.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Ostrach: NACA Report IV, 1953.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Levy and J. W. Mausteller: Liquid Metals Handbook, 1955, TID 5277 Atomic Energy Commission - Department of Navy, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 12.Metals Handbook, 8th Edition, Vol. 1, American Society for Metals, Metals Park, Ohio, 1961Google Scholar
- 15.P. S. Chhabra: M. S. Thesis, 1969, State University of New York at Buffalo.Google Scholar
- 16.D. Dropkin and E. Sommerscales: ASME Paper No. 64-HT-22, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.Google Scholar