Demonstration of the extracellular alveolar lining layer (surfactant) in human lungs
- 21 Downloads
The structure of the extracellular alveolar lining layer in 3 human lungs is described. This lining was composed of 2 layers: a) a highly osmiophilic surface layer, b) a base layer.
The surface layer consisted of lamellar structures with 40 Å intervals. It was fragile and broken in many areas. The base layer molded the irregularities of the alveolar surface; it frequently appeared in the form of “tubular myelin”. In the latter the intervals between lamellae were about 450 Å.
The demonstration of these structures was achieved by routine intratracheal instillation of glutaraldehyde and osmium post-fixation. The lining layer is interpreted as a constituent of pulmonary surfactant.
KeywordsBase Layer Hyperbaric Oxygen Uranyl Acetate Line Layer Pulmonary Surfactant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beckmann, D. L., Weiss, H. S.: Hyperoxia compared to surfactant washout on pulmonary compliance in rats. J. appl. Physiol.26, 700–709 (1969).Google Scholar
- Bernstein, J., Yaug, S. S., Hahn, H. S., Kikkawa, Y.: Mucopolysaccharide in the pulmonary alveolus. I. Histochemical observations on the development of the alveolar lining layer. J. Lab. Invest.21, 420–425 (1969).Google Scholar
- Colacicco, S., Scarpelli, E. M.: Pulmonary surfactants: phospholipid or lipoprotein. Fed. Proc.29, 661 (1970).Google Scholar
- Giamonna, S. T., Kerner, D., Boudurants, S.: Effects of oxygen breathing at atmospheric pressure on pulmonary surfactant. J. appl. Physiol.20, 855–858 (1965).Google Scholar
- Hackney, J. D., Collier, C. R., Rounds, D. E.: Autofluorescence and fluorochrome staining of alveolar lining. Med. thorac. (Basel)22, 77–88 (1965).Google Scholar
- Luke, J. L., Spicer, S. S.: Histochemistry of surface epithelium and pleural mucins in mammalian lung. J. Lab. Invest.14, 2101–2109 (1965).Google Scholar
- Macklin, C. C.: The pulmonary alveolar mucoid film and pneumocytes. Lancet19541, 1099–1104.Google Scholar
- Morgan, T. E.: Pulmonary surfactant. New Engl. J. Med.284, 1185–1193 (1971).Google Scholar
- Morgan, T. E., Finley, T. N., Fialkow, H.: Comparison of the composition and surface activity of “alveolar” and whole lung lipids in a dog. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 106, 403–413 (1965).Google Scholar
- Scarpelli, E. M.: The surfactant system of the lung. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger 1968.Google Scholar