An experiment study of lee vortex with large topography forcing
- 20 Downloads
This paper, relates the lee vortex which is triggered when the rotating and stratified flow passes over the large obstacle by using towing tank and based on the similarity. The results show that Froude number Fr is the most important parameter, and, in the rotating case, the lee vortex is easily triggered, because the rotating may, on one hand, lead to downward flow, on the other hand, induce lee vortex through generating geostrophic vorticity. Even in the non-rotating case, the lee vortex can be still formed, as long as both Froude number Fr and stratification parameter N are appropriate. For the formation mechanism of the lee vortex, there are obvious differences in the rotating case compared with the non-rotating case. In the non-rotating case, the tilting term of the perturbation vorticity is a dominant factor of inducing the lee vortex. However, in the rotating case, effect and the convergence of perturbation vorticity are dominant factors.
Keywordstowing tank lee vortex rotating and stratified flow largeobstacle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ye Duzheng, Gao Youxi, The Meteorology of Tibetan Plateau (in Chinese), Beijing: Science press, 1979, 102–127.Google Scholar
- 2.Xu Xiangde, Gao Shouting, The Theorem of External Forcing and Wave-Flow Interaction (in Chinese), Beijing: Ocean press, 1999, 250–260.Google Scholar
- 4.Long, P. R., Some aspects of the stratified fluids, I. A theoretical investigation, Tellus, 1953, 5: 28–42.Google Scholar
- 5.Crapper, G. D., A three-dimensional solution for waves in the lee of mountains, Luid. Mech. J. F., 1959, 6: 51–76.Google Scholar
- 6.Drazin, P. G., On the steady flow of a fluid of variable density past an obstacle, Tellus, 1961, 13: 239–251.Google Scholar
- 13.Smolarkiewicz, P. K., Rotunno, R., Low Froude number airflow past three-dimensional obstacles, Part 2. Up wind flow reversal zone, J. Atmos. Sci., 1990, 46: 1489–1511.Google Scholar
- 16.Chen Ruirong, Li Guoqing, An experimental Simulation on the mechanical effect of Tibetan on zonal circulation of stratified atmosphere, Science in China, Series B, 1982, 25(5): 1091–1102.Google Scholar
- 17.Sang Jianguo, On the atmospheric internal ship waves, Science in China, Series B, 1997, 40(6): 592–598.Google Scholar
- 18.Liu Huizhi, The study of meso-scale terrain wave and resistance, Doctor dissertation, Beijing University, 1998, 1–135.Google Scholar
- 19.Gao Shouting, Chen Hui, The study of the lee wave passing over large topographies, Acta Meteorologica Sinica, 2000, 6: 654–665.Google Scholar