Synthesis of Alpha-Fetoprotein (AFP) and cell proliferation in regenerating livers of NMRI mice after partial hepatectomy
- 53 Downloads
To get more information concerning the relation between cell proliferation and the synthesis of alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), liver regeneration and AFP production was followed simultaneously in short intervals in NMRI mice after two-thirds hepatectomy using autoradiographic and immunohistochemical methods. The results indicate that AFP synthesis is not linked closely to cell proliferation in the sense that each proliferating hepatocyte synthesizes AFP during a definite phase of the cell cycle. However, AFP production, as measured by the index of anti-AFP positive hepatocytes, occurs in a very small population of parenchymal cells when the bulk of the hepatocytes has just passed the S-phase and is considered to be in the G2−, M or early G1-phase of the cell cycle when the cells are still in an undifferentiated state.
Key wordsα-Fetoprotein Cell proliferation Partial hepatectomy Immunohistochemistry Autoradiography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bakirow RD (1968) Appearance of embryonal serum alpha-globulin in adult mice after inhalation of carbon tetrachloride. Byul Eksp Biol Med 2:45–47Google Scholar
- Gitlin D, Pericelli A, Gitlin JD (1973) The presence of serum AFP in sharks and its synthesis by fetal gastrointestinal tract and liver. Comp Biochem Physiol 46:207–215Google Scholar
- Higgins GM, Anderson RM (1931) Experimental pathology of the liver of the white rat following partial surgical removal. Arch Pathol 12:186–202Google Scholar
- Löhrs U, Nathrath W, Torhorst J, Lamerz R, Mann K (1980) Vergleichende histologische, immunhistochemische und serologische Untersuchungen maligner Hodentumoren. Verh Dtsch Ges Path 64:443Google Scholar
- Payne DW, Katzenellenbogen JA (1979) Binding specificity of rat α-fetoprotein for a series of estrogen derivatives: studies using equilibrium and nonequilibrium binding techniques. Endocrinology 105:743–753Google Scholar
- Perova SD, Elgart DA, Abelev GI (1971) Alpha-fetoprotein in the sera of rats after partial hepatectomy. Byul Eksp Biol Med 71:45–47Google Scholar
- Silver HKB, Gold B, Shuster J, Javitt NB, Freedmann SD, Finlayson NDC (1974) Alpha-fetoprotein in chronic liver disease. N Engl Med 291:506–508Google Scholar
- Smuckler EA, Koplitz RM, Sell S (1976) In: Fishman WH Sell S (eds) Onco-development gene expression. Academic Press, New York pp 253–257Google Scholar
- Sternberger LA, Hardy PH, Cuculin JJ, Meyer HG (1970) The unlabeled antibody enzyme method of immunohistochemistry. Preparation and properties of soluble antigen-antibody complex (horseradish peroxidase-anti-horseradish peroxidase) and its use in identification of spirochetes. J Histochem Cytochem 18:315–333PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Teilum G, Albrechtsen R, Norgaard-Pedersen B (1974) Immunofluorescent localization of AFP synthesis in endodermal sinus tumor (Yolk sac tumor). Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand (A) 82:586–588Google Scholar
- Tuczek H-V, Skoruppa W, Rabes HM (1975) Zellkinetische Untersuchungen zur Interferenz zwischen Proliferations-und Funktionsstoffwechsel in der regenerierenden Rattenleber nach Applikation von Phenobarbital. Virchows Arch [Cell Pathol] 17:347–361Google Scholar