Stimulation of bulb growth in onion (Allium cepa L.) by N,N-diethyl-N-(2-hydroxyethyl)glycine
- 45 Downloads
Both N,N-diethyl-N-(2-hydroxyethyl)glycine (DEHEG) and N,N-diethyl-2-oxomorpholinium chloride (DEOMC) in an optimal dosage of 4 × l0 μmoles per seedling initially accelerated then retarded leaf growth in onion, and doubled the yield of bulbs in field conditions. Gibberellin and auxin nullified the latter effect. It is concluded that DEHEG represents a physiologically active form of DEOMC.
KeywordsTropical Tree Growth Retardant Tree Architecture Auxin Content Onion Plant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Halevy, A. H., Biran, I.: Hormonal regulation of tuberization inDahlia. - Acta Hort.47: 319 to 329, 1975.Google Scholar
- Heath, O. V. S., Holdsworth, M.: Morphogenic factors as exemplified by the onion plant. - Symp. Soc. exp. Biol.2: 326–350, 1948.Google Scholar
- Knypl, J. S.: The mechanism of action of N,N-dialkylmorpholinium growth retardants: Interaction with phytohormones in the control of growth of cucumber, onion andSpirodela. - Int. Conf. on Regulation of Developmental Processes in Plants, Halle/Saale, Abstract No. 196, p. 222, 1977.Google Scholar
- Lercari, B., Ceccarelli, N., Alpi, A., Gregorini, G.: [The level of growth substances in onion in relationship to bulb formation.] In Ital. - G. bot. ital.111: 290–291, 1977.Google Scholar
- Lipe, W. R.: Influence of growth regulators on growth, bulbing, maturity and yield in onions. - HortScience10: 20–21, 1975.Google Scholar
- Lowe, S. B., Wilson, L. A.: Comparative analysis of tuber development in six sweet potato [Ipomoea batatas (L.)Lam.] cultivars. 1. Tuber initiation, tuber growth and partition of assimilate. - Ann. Bot.38: 307–317, 1974.Google Scholar
- Witek, S., Kostowska, B., Gladosz-Oświecimska, M.: [Plant Growth Regulators: Synthesis and properties of N,N-dialkylmorpholinium salts.] In Polish. - Wiadom. chem.21: 340, 1967.Google Scholar