Bootstrap techniques in semiparametric estimation methods for ARFIMA models: A comparison study
- 118 Downloads
This paper considers different bootstrap procedures for investigating the estimation of the fractional parameter d in a particular case of long memory processes, i.e. for ARFIMA models withd in (0.0, 0.5). We propose two bootstrap techniques to deal with semiparametric estimation methods of d. One approach consists of the local bootstrap method for time frequency initially suggested for the ARMA case by Paparoditis and Politis (1999), and the other consists of the bootstrapping in the residuals of the frequency-domain regression equation. Through Monte Carlo simulation, these alternative bootstrap methods are compared, based on the mean and the mean square error of the estimators, with the well-known parametric and nonparametric bootstrap techniques for time series models.
KeywordsSemiparametric procedures Fractionally integrated ARMA process Bootstrap in the residuals Local bootstrap Regression bootstrap
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersson, M.K. and Gredenhoff, M.P. (1998), Robust testing for fractional integration using the bootstrap.Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance, Stockholm School of Economics, No 218.Google Scholar
- Beran, J. (1994),Statistics for long memory process. New York: Chapman and Hall.Google Scholar
- Liu, R.Y. and Singh, K. (1992), Moving blocks jackknife and bootstrap capture weak dependence.Exploring the limits of bootstrap (R. LePage and L. Billard, eds.), John Wiley, New York, 225–248.Google Scholar
- Ooms, M. and Doornik, J.A. (1999), Inference and forecasting for fractional autoregressive integrated moving average models with an application to US and UK inflation.Econometric Institute Report EI-9947/A, Erasmus Univ. Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- Silva, E.M. (2001), Diferentes abordagens bootstrap em modelos ARFIMA(p, d, q).MSc dissertation, Department of Statistics - UFMG, Brazil.Google Scholar