A lymphocyte chalone assay using lymphocyte colony growth in agar capillaries
- 17 Downloads
Using a recently developed method of culturing T-lymphocyte colonies in agar-containing capillary tubes, the capacity of three different lymphoid extracts with lymphocyte chalone (LC) activity to inhibit colony growth was demonstrated. Sephadex fractions from a calf spleen extract were tested on the colony growth of granulocytic cells and PHA-stimulated T-lymphocytes as well as on the in vitro uptake of3H-thymidine by bone marrow and ConA-and LPS-stimulated mouse spleen cells. The data strongly suggest that it is only the combination of several different assay systems applied to the same fractions that permits a clear-cut determination of a specific lymphocyte proliferation inhibitor like LC.
Key wordsLymphocyte chalone assay Agar colonies-capillaries
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Attallah, A.M., Houck, J.C.: Lymphocyte chalone, in: Chalones, J.C., Houck editor, pp. 355–383. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publ. 1976Google Scholar
- Chung, A.C.: The in vivo effects of lymphoid chalone and its immunosuppressive properties, in: Chalones, J.C. Houck editor, pp. 385–393. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publ. Co. 1976Google Scholar
- Garcia-Giralt, E., Macieira-Coelho, A.: Differential effect of lymphoid chalone on the target and non-target cells in vivo, in: Lymphocyte Recognition and Effector Mechanisms, K. Lindahl-Kiessling and D. Osobu, editors, pp. 457–474. New York: Academic Press 1974Google Scholar
- Iversen, O.H.: History of chalones, in: Chalones, J.C. Houck editor, pp. 37–69. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publ. Co. 1976Google Scholar
- Lord, B.I.: The assay of cell proliferation inhibitors, in: Chalones, J.C., Houck editor, pp. 97–139. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publ. Co. 1976Google Scholar
- Maurer, H.R., Laerum, O.D.: Granulocyte chalone testing in: Chalones, J.C. Houck editor, pp. 331–354. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publ. Co. 1976Google Scholar
- Maurer, H.R., Henry, R., Maschler, R.: Chalone inhibition of granulocyte colony growth in agar: Kinetic quantitation by capillary tube scanning. Cell Tiss. Kin. (in press) (1977a)Google Scholar
- Maurer, H.R., Maschler, R., Dietrich, R., Goebel, B.: In vitro culture of lymphocyte colonies in agar capillary tubes after PHA-Stimulation. J. Immunol. Methods (in press) (1977b)Google Scholar
- Maurer, H.R., Weiss, G., Laerum, O.D.: Evaluation of a short term in vitro test for granulocyte chalone activity. Virchows Arch. B Cell Path.20, 229–238 (1976)Google Scholar
- Ulmer, A., Maurer, H.R.: The formation of B-lymphocyte colonies in agar capillaries Immunology (in press) (1977)Google Scholar