Non-G cell gastrin-producing tumours of the pancreas
- 11 Downloads
Three pancreatic gastrinomas, associated with the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, were examined by staining, cytochemical and immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural techniques in order to compare the properties of their storage granules with those of normal gastrin-producing cells. In all three cases, despite their positive anti-gastrin fluorescence, there was only a partial correspondence of properties with those of the pyloric G cell or the pancreatic islet D cell.
It is concluded that the available evidence supports the origin of pancreatic gastrinomas from the gastrin-secreting D cell of the normal islet. The relationship of the “small cell” of the normal islet to the D cell on the one hand, and to the gastrinoma cell on the other, has not been determined.
KeywordsCell Granule Islet Cell Pancreatic Islet Endocrine Cell Islet Cell Tumor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Creutzfeldt, W., Arnold, R., Creutzfeldt, C., Feurle, G., Ketterer, H.: Gastrin and G-cells in the antral mucosa of patients with pernicious anaemia, acromegaly and hyperparathyroidism in a Zollinger-Ellison tumour of the pancreas. Europ. J. clin. Invest.1, 461–479 (1971).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Creutzfeldt, W., Creutzfeldt, C., Perings, E.: Light and electron microscopic findings in three clinical cases of the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. In: Non-insulin producing tumours of the pancreas (L. Demling and R. Ottenjann, eds.), p. 86–89. Stuttgart: Thieme 1969.Google Scholar
- Greider, M. H., McGuigan, J. E.: Cellular localization of gastrin in the human pancreas. Diabetes20, 389–396 (1971).Google Scholar
- Grimelius, L.: A silver nitrate stain for α2 cells in human pancreatic islets. Acta Soc. Med. upsalien.73, 243–270 (1968).Google Scholar
- Hellerström, C., Hellman, B.: Some aspects of silver impregnation of the islets of Langerhans in the rat. Acta endocr. (Kbh.)35, 518–532 (1960).Google Scholar
- Schmidt, H. A., Riecken, E. O.: Histochemical studies on Zollinger-Ellison tumors. In:Noninsulin-producing tumors of the pancreas (Demling, L., Ottenjann, R. eds.), p. 65–79. Stuttgart:Theime 1969.Google Scholar
- Solcia, E., Capella, C., Vassallo, G.: Endocrine cells of the stomach and pancreas in states of gastric hypersecretion. Rendic. R. Gastroenterol.2, 147–158 (1970).Google Scholar
- Thiery, J.-P., Bader, J.-P.: Ultrastructure des îlots de Langerhans du Pancréas humain normal et pathologique. Ann. endocr. (Paris)27, 625–647 (1966).Google Scholar