Nephritogenic properties of nephrotoxic guinea pig antibodies
- 7 Downloads
F(ab′)2 fragments were obtained from digestion of nephrotoxic guinea pig IgG1 antibodies with pepsin. Development of an immediate but transient massive proteinuria was observed in rats injected with pepsin digested, divalent fragments. Although there was no demonstrable localization of rat β1c globulin in the early stage of glomerular lesions, nor accumulation of neutrophiles in glomeruli, detachment of endothelial cells widely separated from the glomerular basement membrane (GBM) was observed at the site. As a control, F(ab′)2 fragments obtained from nephrotoxic rabbit IgG antibody with an ability of fixing complement were incapable of producing glomerular lesions as prominent as those obtained with nephrotoxic F(ab′)2 of IgG1. It is suggested that the fixation of divalent fragments of nephrotoxic guinea pig IgG1 antibody to GBM can cause damage of endothelial cells and a transient proteinuria without detectable participation of complement and neutrophiles.
KeywordsGlomerular Basement Membrane Complement Fixation Glomerular Lesion Globulin Fraction Lamina Densa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cole, L. R., Cromartie, W. J., Watson, D. W.: A specific soluble substance involved in nephrotoxic nephritis. Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. (N.Y.)77, 498–501 (1951)Google Scholar
- Ishizaka, K., Ishizaka, T., Sugahara, T.: Biological activity of soluble antigen-antibody complexes. VII. Role of an antibody fragment in the induction of biological activities. J. Immunol.88, 690–701 (1962)Google Scholar
- Isliker, H., Jacot-Guillarmod, H., Waldesbuhl, M., Fellenberg, R. von, Cerottini, J. C.: Complement fixation by different IgG preparations and fragments. Immunpathology, Vth international Symposium (ed. by P. Graber and P. A. Miescher), p. 197–206 (1968)Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, Y., Shigematsu, H., Tada, T.: Nephritogenic properties of nephrotoxic guinea pig antibodies. I. Glomerulonephritis induced by guinea pig IgG1 antibody in rats. Virchows Arch. Abt. B (in press)Google Scholar
- Movat, H. Z., Dilorenzo, N. L.: Activation of the plasma kinin system by antigen-antibody aggregates. I. Generation of permeability factor in guinea pig serum. Lab. Invest.19, 187–200 (1968)Google Scholar
- Movat, H. Z., Dilorenzo, N. L., Treloar, M. P.: Activation of the plasma kinin system by antigen-antibody aggregates. II. Isolation of permeability enhancing and kinin-releasing fractions from activated guinea pig serum. Lab. Invest.19, 201–210 (1968)Google Scholar
- Shigematsu, H.: Glomerular events during the initial phase of rat Masugi nephritis. Virchows Arch. Abt. B5, 187–200 (1970)Google Scholar
- Stelos, P., Yagi, Y., Pressman, D.: Localizing properties of radioiodinated fragments of anti-rat kidney antibody. J. Immunol.87, 106–109 (1961)Google Scholar