Pancreatic islets subjected to different concentrations of glucose in vitro
Isolated pancreatic islets of mice and gerbils were cultured for 6 days at low (2 mM) or high (20 mM) concentrations of glucose after which they were studied using qualitative and quantitative electron microscopy, histo- and microchemistry, and X-ray microanalysis. Compared with the islets cultured at high glucose, those subjected to low glucose exhibited enhanced succinate dehydrogenase activity, a decreased content of adenosine triphosphate, and an increased volume of B-cell mitochondria which often were rounded or oval.
Key wordsPancreatic B-cells Mitochondria ATP Glucose effect Succinate dehydrogenase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boquist, L., Fåhraeus, B.: Parathyroid morphology in gerbils after thyroidectomy and calcium administration. Acta path. microbiol. scand., Sect. A83, 539–549 (1975)Google Scholar
- Borglund, E. : Bioenergetic aspects of the pancreatic B-cells. With special reference to the concentrations and interconversion of the adenine nucleotides. Acta Univ. Upsal., Abstr. Uppsala Diss. Fac. Med. No. 170 (1973)Google Scholar
- Burris, R.H.: “Thunberg Techniques” for estimation of dehydrogenase activity. In: Manometric techniques, eds.: Umbreit, W.W., Burris, R.H., Stauffer, J.F., pp. 130–134. Minneapolis: Burgess Publ. Co. Sec. Printing, 1959Google Scholar
- Matthews, J.L., Martin, J.H., Arsenis, C., Eisenstein, R., Kuettner, K.: The role of mitochondria in intracellular calcium regulation. In : Cellular mechanisms for calcium transfer and homeostasis, eds. Nichols, G., Jr., Wasserman, R.H., pp. 239–255. New York and London: Academic Press 1971Google Scholar
- Pearse, A.G.E.: Histochemistry. Theoretical and applied., Vol. 2, 3rd ed., pp. 1342–1343. Edinburgh and London: Churchill Livingstone 1972Google Scholar
- Ruigrok, Th.J.C., Elbers, P.F.: The effects of calcium acetate on mitochondria in the perfused rat liver. I. Accumulation of Ca++ and concomitant swelling. Cytobiol.5, 51–64 (1972)Google Scholar
- Wettermark, G.E., Tegnér, L., Brolin, S.E., Borglund, E.: Photokinetic measurements of the ATP and ADP levels in isolated islets of Langerhans. In: The structure and metabolism of the pancreatic islets, eds. : Falkmer, S., Hellman, B., Täljedal, I.-B., pp. 275–282. Oxford and New York: Pergamon Press 1970Google Scholar