Esterase activity in the guinea pig thyroid under normal and pathological conditions (vitamin A deficiency) with special regard to cyst-like structures
- 10 Downloads
By use of different activators and inhibitors, TOCP (tri-o-cresyl phosphate), PCMB (parachloromercury benzoate), NiCl2, Pb(NO3)2, HgCl2, Hg(NO3)2, eserine and sodium taurocholate, it is shown that the esterase in the cyst cells and in group I cells of the guinea pig thyroid probably are A-esterase isoenzymes. The activity in the majority of cyst cells is considerably stronger than in the other thyroid epithelial cells, and it is resistant to Hg inactivation. Neither esterase type nor intensity of the reaction product is altered in group I-II or cyst cells during vitamin A-deficiency. When a normal diet is given, the esterase in all thyroid epithelial cells is very sensitive to sodium taurocholate, while in cyst cells it is rather resistant to this inhibitor at vitamin A-deficiency.
Key wordsEsterase Thyroid Cysts Vitamin A deficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christov, K., Bollmann, R., Thomas, C.: Ultimobranchial follicles and cysts in the rat thyroid during post natal development. Beitr. Path.149, 47–59 (1973)Google Scholar
- Lillie, R.D.: Histopathologic technique and practical histochemistry. 3rd ed., p. 38. New York: (1965)Google Scholar
- Pearse, A.G.E.: Histochemistry-Theoretical and applied. 3rd ed., Vol. 2. London: Churchill Livingstone 1972Google Scholar
- Petko, M.: Morphological and histochemical changes of ultimobranchial follicles of the rat thyroid in the course of post natal life. Acta morph., Acad. Sci. hung.23, 123–131 (1975)Google Scholar
- Silver, A.: The biology of cholin esterases. Front. Biol.36 (1974)Google Scholar
- Smejkalova, E., Smejkal, V.: Cytochemical study of non-specific esterase, acid and alkaline phosphαtase in the human thyroid neoplasms. Acta histochem. (Jena)46, 74–78 (1973)Google Scholar
- Van Dyke, J.H.: Experimental thyroid metaplasia in the rat. Arch. Path.59, 73–81 (1955)Google Scholar