Effect of macronutrients and pH on the growth, nitrogen fixation and soluble sugar content of water fernAzolla pinnata
- 97 Downloads
Deficiency in Ca and P in mineral medium reduced the growth and nitrogen content ofAzolla pinnata but increased the content of soluble sugars in the plant; the deficiency in K and Mg was less effective in retarding the growth. The pH of the medium from 5 to 8 encouraged the growth and nitrogen fixation, whereas acidic pH of 4 as well as alkaline pH of 9 inhibited the growth and nitrogen fixation.
KeywordsChlorophyll Nitrogen Fixation Soluble Sugar Acetylene Reduction Soluble Sugar Content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crowe, A. F., Crowe, A.: Mathematics for Biologists. - Academic Press, London -New York 1969.Google Scholar
- Gopal, B.: Contribution ofAzolla pinnata R. Br. to the productivity of temporary ponds at Varanasi. - Trop. Ecol.8: 126–130, 1967.Google Scholar
- Hodge, J. E., Hofreiter, B. T.: Determination of reducing sugars and carbohydrates. - In:Whistler, R. L., Wolfrom, M. L. (ed.): Methods in Carbohydrate Chemistry. Vol. 1. Pp. 380–394, Academic Press, New York 1962.Google Scholar
- Saubert, G. G. P.: Provisional communication on the fixation of elementary nitrogen by a floating fern. - Ann. roy. bot. Gard. Buiternzorg.51: 177–197, 1949.Google Scholar
- Slngh, P. K.:Azolla plants as fertilizer and feed. - Indian Farming27: 19–22, 1977a.Google Scholar
- Singh, P. K.: Multiplication and utilization of fern “Azolla” containing nitrogen-fixing algal symbiont as green manure in rice cultivation. - Riso26: 125–137, 1977b.Google Scholar
- Singh, P. K.: Effect ofAzolla on the yield of paddy with and without application of N fertilizer. - Curr. Sci.46: 642–644, 1977c.Google Scholar
- Singh, R. N.: Role of blue-green algae in nitrogen economy of Indian agriculture. - In: Indian Council of Agricultural Research. P. 131. New Delhi 1961.Google Scholar
- Subudhi, B. P. R., Singh, P. K.: Nutritive value of the waterfernAzolla pinnata for chicks. -Poultry Sci. (in press), 1978.Google Scholar