Spectrum of platelet aggregation abnormalities in myeloproliferative diseases
- 22 Downloads
Several platelet abnormalities have been described in myeloproliferative diseases. The present study deals with 81 patients with polycythaemia vera, chronic myelogenous leukemia, essential thrombocythaemia and idiopathic myelolibrosis, and reports the analysis of the findings in platelet-induced aggregation. Platelet abnormalities induced by ADP, adrenaline and collagen were found in 41.9% of the patients. A defect of primary aggregation was documented in 13 cases and one of them showed an aggregation pattern similar to that of Glanzmann’s disease. Fifteen patients had an impairment of secondary aggregation, and in one case of this group the platelet malondialdehyde and serotonin findings were consistent with a defect resembling that of typical congenital storage pool deficiency. A disturbance of the arachidonic acid pathways associated with a storage pool deficiency was found in a third patient belonging to a group with abnormalities of primary and secondary aggregation. In conclusion, platelets in myeloproliferative diseases have several defects and in a few cases their combination is similar to those of congenital diseases.
Key-wordsMyeloproliferative diseases Platelet aggregation Platelet malondialdehyde and scrotonin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cortelazzo S., Barbui T., Bassan R., Dini E.: Abnormal aggregation and increased size of platelets in myeloproliferative disorders — Thrombos. Haemost.43, 127, 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.Dechavanne M., Lagarde M., Bryon P. A.: Thrombocytopathies avec déficit en cyclooxygénase — Nouv. Rev. franç. Hémat.16, 421, 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.Drummond A., Gordon J. L.: Rapid, sensitive microassay for platelet 5-HT — Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg.)31, 366, 1974.Google Scholar
- 10.Keenan J. P., Wharton J., Sheperd A. J. N., Bellingham A. J.: Defective platelet lipid peroxidation in myeloproliferative disorders: a possible defect of prostaglandin synthesis — Brit. J. Haemat.19, 643, 1977.Google Scholar
- 14.Nishimura J., Okamoto S., Ibayashi H.: Abnormalities of platelet adenine nucleotides in patients with myeloproliferative disorders — Thrombos. Haemost.41, 787, 1979.Google Scholar
- 17.Pareti F. I., Mannucci P. M., Asti D., Guarini A., Gugliotta L., Tura S.: Acquired storage pool disease in myeloproliferative disorders — In: VII Int. Congr. Thrombos. Haemost, London, July 15–20, 1979.Google Scholar
- 19.Rendu F., Lebret M., Nurden A. C., Caen J. P.: Detection of an acquired storage pool disease in three patients with myeloproliferative disorder — Thrombos. Haemost.42, 794, 1979.Google Scholar
- 21.Smith J. B., Ingerman C., Silver M. J.: Malondialdehyde formation as an indicator of prostaglandin production by human platelets — J. Lab. clin. Med.38, 167, 1976.Google Scholar