Hybrid plant regeneration from interfamilial somatic hybridization between grapevine (vitia vinifera L.) and Red Thorowax (Bupleurum scorzonerifolium willd)
- 30 Downloads
The protoplasts of Red Thorowax (Bupleurum scorzonerifolium) irradiated by ultraviolet light (UV) at an intensity of 260 μW/cm2 for 0, 1,2 and 3 min respectively were fused with that of grapevine (Vitia vinifera). The regenerated 19 clones, every one derived from a single fused cell, were identified as hybrids by phenotype, isozyme, chromosome and 5S rDNA spacer region analysis. The results reveal that all of them are somatic hybrids. 11 hybrid calli including asymmetric and symmetric products regenerated somatic embryos and young leaves after 5 months of culture, of which 4 hybrid cell lines derived from asymmetric fusion regenerated plants with roots after 8–10 months of culture. Inspection of chromosome showed that regeneration of whole plant was related to the decrease of chromosome number. Identification of 5S rDNA spacer region of the plants confirmed that they were interfamilial hybrid plants.
KeywordsGrapevine (Vitia vinifera) Red Thorowax (Bupleurum scorzonerifolium) ultraviolet light (UV) somatic hybridization interfamilial hybrid plants
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Xia, G. M., Wang, H., Chen, H. M., Plant regeneration from intergeneric asymmetric somatic hybridization between wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and Russian wildrye (Psathyrostichys jurcea (Fisch) Neveski) and couch grass (Agropyron elongatum Host Neviski),Chinese Science Bulletin, 1996, 41(15): 1423.Google Scholar
- 7.Bao, X. Z., Fan, Z. G., Lin, C. F., Isolation and culture of grapevine pmtoplasts,J. Shandong Univ., 1993, 28(2): 248.Google Scholar
- 8.Xia, G. M., Li, Z. F., Chen, H. M.et al., Plant regeneration from protoplast ofBupleurum scorzonerifoliwn, Plant Cell Reports, 1992, 11: 155.Google Scholar
- 9.Xia, G. M., Chen, H. M., Plant regeneration from intergeneric somatic hybridization betweenTriticum aestivum andLeymus chinensis, Plant Science, 1996, 102: 197.Google Scholar
- 10.Rogers, D. C., Bendich, A. J., Extraction of DNA from plant tissue,Plant Molecular Biology Manua1, 1988, A6: 1.Google Scholar
- 11.Lu, B. Z., Yu, X. R., Guo, F. Y.et al., The embryogenesis from culturein vitro of filaments of grapevine,J. Fruit Science, 1995, (Supp.): 37.Google Scholar