Origin of illites in the Luochuan loess section
- 21 Downloads
Morphology and composition of illite from the Luochuan loess section were investigated by TEM. The results show that most of the illite grains are characterized by rounded shapes and chemical compositions are closely similar to those of anchizonal illites. The enrichment of illites in paleosol over loess was mainly caused by the weak winter monsoon during the interglacial periods, and was not related to thein situ pedogenesis. Illite can serve as an indicator for tracing eolian dust from Loess Plateau in pelagic and lacustrine sediments.
Keywordsloess illite origin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Liu Tungshenget al., Loess and Environment (in Chinese), Beijing: Science Press, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Zheng Honghanet al., Mineral composition of loess-paleosol in the Loess Plateau of China and its environmental implications,Geochimka, 1994, 23(Suppl.), 112.Google Scholar
- 5.Meunier, A., Velde, B., Solid solutions in I/S mixed-layer minerals and illite,American Mineralogist, 1989, 74: 1106.Google Scholar
- 7.Srodon, J., Eberl, D. D., Illite: in Micas,Reviews in Mineralogy, 1984, 13: 495.Google Scholar
- 10.Ji Junfeng, Chen Jun, Wang Hongtao, Crystallinity of illite from the Luochuan loess-paleosol sequence, Shaanxi Province,Reviews in Geology (in Chinese), 1997, 43:181.Google Scholar
- 11.Jia Chengzhaoet al., Structural Features of the Tarim Basin (in Chinese), Beijing: Petroleum Press, 1997, 90–300.Google Scholar
- 12.Qin Yunshan, Chen Lirong, Shi Xuefa, Study on the eolian deposits of the West Philippine Sea,Chinese Science Bulletin (in Chinese), 1995, 40: 1595.Google Scholar
- 13.He Liangbiao, Liu Qinyu, Chemical characteristics of clay minerals in sediments from the Huanghe River and the Changjiang River,Chinese Science Bulletin (in Chinese), 1997, 42: 730.Google Scholar