Non-metallic catalysts for diamond synthesis under high pressure and high temperature
- 73 Downloads
Recent results on conversion from graphite to diamond by aid of non-metallic catalysts are reviewed. The current status of experimental advances is presented and typical examples from relevant literature are provided for understanding the mechanism of the graphite-diamond conversion by aid of these non-metallic catalysts. Furthermore, a tendency of graphite-diamond transformation assisted by carbonates, sulfates or phosphorus under high pressure and high temperature has been investigated by calculating the activation energy and transformation probability of the carbon atoms over a potential barrier. It was found that the activation energy is highly sensitive to the catalyst chosen. The probability sequence of graphite-diamond transformation with these catalysts was put forward.
Keywordsnon-metallic catalyst diamond synthesis transformation probability high pressure and high temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Utsumi, W., Yagi, T., Light-transparent phase formed by room temperature compression of graphite,Science, 1991, 252: 1542.Google Scholar
- 8.Novirov, N. V., Shulzhenko, A. A.,Science and Technology of New Diamond (eds. Saito, S., Fukunaga, O., Yoshikawa, M.), Tokyo, Japan, 1990, 217–219.Google Scholar
- 23.Woermamn, E.,German Patent, 2, 271, 644(1978): CA 90(1978) 124033r.Google Scholar
- 24.Shulzhenko, A. A., Getman, A. F.,German Patent, 2, 104, 139(1972): CA 76(1972) 156242k.Google Scholar
- 26.Akaishi, M., Kanda, H., Yamaoka, S., Diamond sintering under high pressure and high temperature,J. Hard Mater., 1992, 3: 75.Google Scholar
- 27.Yamada, H., Akaishi, M., Yamaoka, S., Diamond formation in the graphite-MgO-H2O system, inProceedings of the 3rd NIRIM International Symposium on Advanced Materials (eds. Akaishi, M. et al.), National Institute for Research in Inorganic Materials, Tsukuba, Japan, 1996, 245.Google Scholar
- 29.Sun, L. L., Decomposition behavior of Ag2CO3 and diamond synthesis assisted by a decomposition product of Ag2CO3 under high pressure and high temperature,COE Report of NIRIM (ed. National Institute for Research in Inorganic Materials), Japan, 1997.Google Scholar
- 30.Michau, D., Influence of the nitrogen getter on spontaneous nucleation of diamond in graphite-phosphorus system at high pressure and high temperature,COE Report of NIRIM (ed. National Institute for Research in Inorganic Materials), Japan, 1997.Google Scholar