Streptomyces species producing the streptovaricin complex
- 53 Downloads
Morphological, cultural and physiological-biochemical properties ofStreptomyces sp. strain 1000 and its antibiotic production were investigated. Antibiotics 1011 (identical with the streptovaricin complex) and 1012 (with antibacterial action) were isolated from the cultural broth of this strain. The overproducing natural variant 1011 was isolated from the population of a strain producing antibiotic 1011 at a concentration of 1000 mg/L (activity of the parent strain represents 41 mg/L only). Comparative taxonomical characteristic ofStreptomyces sp. strain 1000 with strains fromS. spectabilis showed that the strain 1000 differed in some properties and antibiotic production being considered as a new variant ofS. spectabilis. The strain shows an expressed antibiotic activity against G+ as well as G− bacterial and yeasts.
KeywordsXylose Streptomyces Spectinomycin None None Antibiotic Production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 8th ed. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore 1974.Google Scholar
- Bondartzev A.S.:Scale of Colour. Acad.Sci. USSR Publ., Moscow 1954.Google Scholar
- Gauze G.F., Preobrazhenskaya T.P., Sveshnikova M.A., Terekhova L.P., Maksimova T.S.:Key to Actinomycetes. Nauka Publ. Moscow 1983.Google Scholar
- Dietz A., De Boer C., Smith R.M., Siminoff P., Boyack G.A., Whitfield G.B.: Antibiotic streptovaricin and process for its production.US Pat.3 116 202, 1963.Google Scholar
- Vesselinova N., Ivanova V., Gesheva R.: Method for obtaining antibacterial antibiotic.Bulg.Pat.84 704 (1991).Google Scholar
- Yamazaki H.: Studies on antimicrobial substance B 44 P (streptovaricin) produced by a strain of actinomycetes.J.Antibiot.21, 204–220 (1968).Google Scholar