Effect of felodipine on the serum lipid profile of patients with hypertension
- 23 Downloads
Forty patients suffering from mild to moderate degree of hypertension were put on felodipine. Their lipid profile was analysed before the start of their therapy and consecutively at two and four months after starting felodipine. There was a statistically significant fall in the levels of serum cholesterol, serum triglycerides and serum total lipids; though no appreciable variation was observed in HDL and LDL cholesterol levels. At baseline there were a few patients who had higher than the normal range of the serum lipid profile. Analysis of these patients showed a highly significant fall in the levels of serum cholesterol, serum triglycerides, serum LDL-cholesterol and serum total lipids i.e. felodipine modified the lipid profiles of hypertensive patients in a positive way.
Key wordsFelodipine Lipid Profile Hypertension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Swain, T.R., Das, M., Kanungo, S., Mukherji, D., Mishra, S.S. and Das, M.C. (1997) A comparative study on the effect of felodipine and propranolol on serum lipid profile of rabbits. Indain J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 41(3), 269–274.Google Scholar
- 8.Shionoiri, H., Takizawa, T. and Ohyama, Y. (1994) Felodipine therapy may not alter the glucose and lipid metabolism in hypertensives. Hypertension 23 (Suppl., 215–219.Google Scholar
- 10.Varley, H., Gowenlock, A.H. and Bell, M. (1991) Practical Clinical Biochemistry; 5th edn. CBS publishers. p. 625–684.Google Scholar
- 12.Ponti G.B., Carnovali, M. and Banderali, G. (1983) Effects of labetalol on the lipid metabolism in hypertensive patients. Curr. Ther. Res. 33, 466–471.Google Scholar
- 13.Perola, P., Lehtoo, H. and Lammintausta, R. (1985) Metabolic effects of furosemide and the combination of furosemide and triamterene. Curr. Ther. Res. 37, 545–553.Google Scholar
- 18.Eltingh, O.P. and Hajjar, D.P. (1985) Nifedipine increases cholesteryl ester hydrolytic activity in lipid laden arterial smooth muscle cells. J. Clin. Invest. 15, 1554–1558.Google Scholar
- 20.Klein, W.W. (1984) Treatment of hypertension with calcium channel blockers—European data. Amer. J. Med. 76, 143–146Google Scholar