Mechanisms of arsenic trioxide induced apoptosis of human cervical cancer HeLa cells and protection by Bcl-2
- 36 Downloads
It was recently reported that arsenic trioxide (As2O3) can induce complete remission in patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL). In this present article, the biological effect of (As2O3) on human cervical cancer HeLa cells and HeLa cells overexpressing Bcl-2 is studied. By MTT and colony forming ability assays, morphology alteration, flow cytometric analysis, DNA gel electrophoresis andin situ cell death detection (TUNEL), it was found that As2O3 inhibited the growth of HeLa cells and induced G2/M arrest and apoptosis of the cells. RT-PCR, Northern blot, Western blot analysis revealed that As2O3 induced HeLa cell apoptosis possibly via decreasing the expression of c-myc and viral genes. HeLa cells overexpressing Bcl-2 partly resist As2O3 induced apoptosis, which might be relative to preventing the cells from As2O3 caused G2/M block, downregulation of c-myc gene expression and inhibition of viral gene expression was also noted. However, it was found that As2O3 at a high concentration could also induce apoptosis of HeLa cells overexpressing Bcl-2 possibly mainly via downregulating Bcl-2 expression and slightly inhibiting viral gene expression.
Keywordsarsenic trioxide (As2O3) human cervical cancer cells apoptosis Bcl-2 overexpression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sun, H. D., Ma, L., Hu, X. C. et al., Treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia (32 cases) with intravenous arsenic triox-ide,Chin. J. Integr. Chin. West Med., 1992, 12: 170.Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, P., Wang, S.Y., Hu, L.H. et al., Treatment of acute promyeliocytic leukemia (72 cases) with intravenous arsenic trioxide,Chin. J. Hematol., 1996, 17: 58.Google Scholar
- 4.Parkin, D.M., Laara, E., Muir, C.S., Estimates of the worldwide frequency of sixteen major cancer in 1980,Int. J. Can-cer, 1988, 41: 184.Google Scholar
- 7.Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E. F., Maniatis, T.,Molecular Cloning:A Laboratory Manual, New York: Cold Spring Harbor Lab-oratory Press, 1989, 970–974.Google Scholar
- 9.Li, X. T., Lin, C., Li, P. Y. et al., The sensitivity of human gastric adenocarcinoma MGC803 to drugs and the clinical im-plication,Chin. J. Onco., 1989, 11(5): 332.Google Scholar
- 14.Dwmarcq, C., Bunch, R.T., Creswell, D. et al., The role of cell cycle progression in cisplatin-induced apoptosis in Chinese hamster ovary cells,Cell Growth Differ., 1994, 5: 983.Google Scholar