Electron-phonon interactions in bct white tin
- 35 Downloads
The electron-phonon interactions are evaluated exactly over the actual shape of the atomic polyhedron as well as the lattice polyhedron of diatomic white tin by making use of simple coordinate axes transformations and crystal symmetry. It is shown that the expressions for the interference factor,S(q, t) of the atomic polyhedron are complex while those for the lattice polyhedron are real and the reciprocal lattice vectors derived from the former do not correspond to those derived either from the latter or from x-ray structure factors. By comparing these expressions with each other as well as with those obtained by approximating these polyhedra by an ellipsoid of equivalent volume, apparent differences between the interference factors of atomic and lattice polyhedra, consequent ambiguity regarding the shape and size of the first Brillouin zone of white tin, validity of the Wigner-Seitz approximation for a diatomic lattice and the manner in which the electron-phonon interactions contribute to acoustical and optical modes of vibration are discussed.
KeywordsElectron-phonon interactions interference factor coordinate axes transformation atomic polyhedron Brillouin zone bct white tin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashokkumar 1973Noncentral interactions in metals. Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, p. 49Google Scholar
- Brovman E G and Kagan Y U 1966Sov. Phys-Solid State 8 1120Google Scholar
- Mott N F and Jones H 1936The theory of the properties of metals and alloys (Oxford: University Press) p. 159Google Scholar
- Rajendraprasad S B 1982Lattice dynamical study of tetragonal metals, Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, p. 132Google Scholar
- Ramjirao R and Narayanamurthy J V S S 1985Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 23 16Google Scholar
- Wilson A H 1954Theory of metals (Cambridge: University Press) p. 75Google Scholar