Effects of nutrients present in Bold’s basal medium on the green algaStigeoclonium pascheri
The effects of varying concentrations of nutrients present in Bold’s basal medium on the extent of colony formation from vegetative fragments, sporulation and spore germination of the green algaStigeoclonium poscheri were studied. A decrease of colony formation was observed in media deficient in MgSO4, NaNO3, phosphates, and containing a 10-fold increase of H3BO3. Sporulation decreased in the same media. However, sporulation was greater in an increasing order in media containing 2- to 10-fold increase in MgSO4. There was a decrease in spore germination in media deficient in phosphates, MgSO4, containing 5- or 10-fold MgSO4, or containing 2- to 10-fold of CaCl2, H3BO3 or microelements. Spore germination increased in media containing 2-fold MgSO4, deficient in H3BO3 or microelements or containing none of the three micronutrient solutions.
KeywordsBasal Medium Colony Formation Spore Germination Vegetative Fragment Colony Appearance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson R.G.: The growth and reproduction ofChara in a definable nutrient medium.Diss. Abstr. 20 (8), 3034 (1960).Google Scholar
- Brown T.E., Eyster H.C., Tanner H.A.: Physiological effects of manganese deficiency, p. 135 inL.A. Lamb, O.G. Bentley, J.M. Beattie (Eds):Trace Elements. Academic Press, New York 1958.Google Scholar
- Cox E.R., Bold H.C.: Taxonomic investigation of Stigeolonium, in (Eds.) University of Texas, Publ. No. 6618, Austin (Texas).Phycological studies VII, 10 (1966).Google Scholar
- John K.R., Anderson R.G.: The effects of nitrogen deficiency on akinate formation inPithophora oedogonia.J. Phycol. 12 (Suppl.), 32 (1976).Google Scholar
- Kaushik M., Kumar H.D., Singh H.N.: Studies on growth and development of two nitrogen fixing blue-green algae. I. Carbon and phosphorus nutrition.Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 65, 432 (1971).Google Scholar
- Kuhl A.: Inorganic phosphorus uptake and metabolism, p. 211 inR.A. Lewin (Ed.):Physiology and Biochemistry of Algae. Academic Press, New York 1962.Google Scholar
- Reddy P.M.: Physiological and biochemical studies on cellular differentiation with special reference to perennating structures of blue-green algae. Ph.D. Thesis, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 1976.Google Scholar
- Shen E.Y.E.: Cultivation ofChara in defined medium, p. 153 inB.C. Parker, R.M. Brown (Eds):Contributions in Phycology. Allen Press, Lawarence (Kanas) 1971.Google Scholar