New red flower germplasm lines of cotton selected from hybrid ofGossypium hirsutum XG. bickii
- 14 Downloads
By means of dropping GA3(50 ppm) and NAA (40 ppm) on the hybrid boll-embryo culturein vitro, one F1 plant ofG. hirsutum × G. bickii was obtained; when F1 branches were grafted on upland cotton and then back-crossed with upland cotton under short-day and cooler-night condition, some BC1 seeds could be harvested. The characteristic segregation was very violent in early generation. Through 3 times of back-crossing and selecting, ten stable hybrid lines with the character of both male parent (viz. red petal-purple spot and strong fibre) and female parent (plant type, earliness, white fibre, lint length, etc.) were established. These lines were assigned as HB red flower lines (HBRL). Transference of character ofG. bickii to upland cotton was proved to be successful for the first time. These new germplasms may play an important role in both the genetic research and new cotton variety breeding.
KeywordsGossypium hirsutum ×G. bickii interspecific hybridization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Edwards, G. A., Mirza, M. A., Genomes of the Australian wild species of cotton, II. The designation of a new genome forGossypium bickii, Can. J. Genet. Cytol., 1979, 21:367.Google Scholar
- 2.Ndungo, V., Demol, J., Marechal, R., The improvement of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) using interspecific hybridization,Bull. Rech. Agron. Gemboux, 1988, 23(3): 283.Google Scholar
- 3.Liang Zhenglan, Sun Zhuanwei, Liu Tilianget al., Studies on interspecific hybridization in cotton,Scientic Sinica, 1978, 11(4):545.Google Scholar
- 4.Liang Zhenglan, Jiang Ruqin, Zhong Wennanet al., Study on the interspecific hybrid ofGossypium hirsutum × G. bickii andG. herbaceum × G.bickii, Kexue Tongbao, 1985, 30(8):1095.Google Scholar
- 5.Liang Zhenglan, Jiang Ruqin, Zhong Wennan, Transference of character of wild species to cultured species inGossypium, Kexue Tongbao, 1986, 31(9):639.Google Scholar
- 6.James, M.S. Cecilia, L.H., Hybridization of diploid and tetraploid cottons through in-ovulo embryo culture,J. of Heredity, 1978, 69:308.Google Scholar
- 8.Sun, J.Z., Lin, J.L., Nie, Y.C.,Scientia Agricultura Sinica (in Chinese), 1985, 17(5):26.Google Scholar
- 9.Liang Zhenglan, Jiang Ruqin, Zhong Wennan,Acta Botanca Sinica (in Chinese), 1992, 34(12):931.Google Scholar
- 10.Li Binglin, Zhang Bojing, Zhang Xinrunet al., Acta Genetica Sinica (in Chinese), 1987, 14(2): 121.Google Scholar