Magnetic and transport properties of some light rare earth tungstates
- 27 Downloads
Measurements relating to molar magnetic susceptibility, dc electrical conductivity and thermoelectric power of Nd, Sm, Eu and Gd are reported. The ac electrical conductivity at a few temperature ranges is also given. It is found that it follows the Curie-Weiss law behaviour and this has been attributed to the crystal field effect. The experimental value of Bohr magneton for the magnetic ions has been found to be in good agreement with theory. Thermoelectric power is negative in the measured temperature range suggesting these materials to bep-type semi-conductors and holes as the dominant charge carriers. The results are explained using band theory.
KeywordsMagnetic susceptibility electrical conductivity thermo-electric power rare-earth tungstates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dar N 1976Electrical transport and magnetic properties of some rare-earth compounds, Ph.D. thesis (Gorakhpur University)Google Scholar
- Herman T C and Honing J M 1976Thermoelectric power and thermomagnetic effects and applications (New York: McGraw Hill) p 142Google Scholar
- Lal H B and Dar N 1976aPhysica 84 254Google Scholar
- Lal H B and Dar N 1976bIndian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 14 788Google Scholar
- Lal H B, Verma B K and Dar N 1976bIndian J. Cryogenics 1 119Google Scholar
- Morrish A H 1966The physical principle of magnetism (New York: John Wiley) p 529Google Scholar
- Martin D H 1967Magnetism in solids (London: Ileffe Book Ltd) p 305Google Scholar
- Methfessel S and Mattis D C 1968Handbuch der Phys. ed S Flugge 18th ed. (Heidelberg: Springer Verlag) p 389Google Scholar
- Thomas J H and Seinko M J 1974J. Phys. Chem. Solids 61 3920Google Scholar
- Spedding F H 1974 inEncyclopaedia Britannica 15th ed p 515Google Scholar
- Van Vleck J H 1932Theory of electric and magnetic susceptibility (Oxford: University Press) p 226Google Scholar