Changes in intracellular localization of peroxidase during Microsporogenesis in Gymnosperms
- 20 Downloads
Cytochemical investigations on peroxidase localization during microsporogenesis inLarix europaea D.C.,Taxus baccata L. andPinus sylvestris L. have revealed striking differences in the localization and activity level of this enzyme linked with the developmental stage.
The localization and level of activity of peroxidase, typical of each stage, changed in the course of microsporogenesis in a strictly orderly way, giving a characteristic and stable pattern. The pattern of intracellular peroxidase localization proved to be the same for microsporogenesis of all the gymnosperms in question.
It is suggested that the identity of that pattern in plants so phylogenetically distant asTaxus baccata L. andPinus sylvestris L. indicates that peroxidase activity in gymnosperms’ microsporogenesis is connected with the fundamental and genetically well stabilized processes of meiotic cytodifferentiation.
Moreover, enhanced peroxidase activity has been found in the sites of callose walls synthesis of dyads and tetrads, which suggests the participation of this enzyme in callose synthesis.
Key wordsLarix europaea D.C. Taxus baccata L. Pinus sylvestris L. meiotic cytodifferentiation callose synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bredemeijer, G. M. M.: Pollen peroxidases. - J. Palinol.18: 1–11, 1982.Google Scholar
- Georgiev, G. G., Bakardzhibva, N. T., Georgiev, G. Y.: [Peroxidase activity of plants differing by their phylogenetic position.] In Russ. - Fiziol. Rast.24: 97–102, 1977.Google Scholar
- Górska-Brylass, A., Chwirot, W. B., Michalski, L.: IAA-peroxidase relation in the microsporocytes and anther wall during succesive stages of meiosis inLarix europaea D.C. - Acta Soc. Bot. Pol.50: 63–73, 1981.Google Scholar
- Jensen, W. A.: Botanical Histochemistry. - W. H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco 1962.Google Scholar
- Stanley, R. G., Linskens, H. F.: Pollen Biology Biochemistry Management. - Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1974.Google Scholar