Relationship between the structure of carbonylcyanide phenylhydrazones and inhibition of growth of microorganisms, stimulation of respiration of yeast cells and rat liver mitochondria
- 22 Downloads
The effect of ten derivatives of carbonylcyanide phenylhydrazone on growth of bacteria, yeast and different species of filamentous fungi was investigated. In yeast and mitochondria isolated from rat liver the effect of these derivatives on the respiratory activity was also followed. The relative efficiency of the individual derivatives of earbonylcyanide phenylhydrazone was determined on the basis of the results obtained. It was shown that derivatives, in which the substituent on the benzene ring causes simultaneously an increase of acidity and lipophilicity of the derivative as compared with the non-substituted carbonylcyanide phenylhydrazone (4-trifluoromethoxy-, 3-chloro-, 4-chloro and 3,4-dichloroderivatives) were most effective.
KeywordsYeast Cell Filamentous Fungus Growth Yield Respiratory Activity Maximum Stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albert A., Serjeant E.: Ionization constants of acids and bases, p. 64. (In Russian) Khimia Publ. House Moscow 1964.Google Scholar
- Greksák M.: A contribution to the interaction of carbonylcyanide phenylhydrazone derivates with yeast cells.Biológia (Bratislava)28, 445 (1973).Google Scholar
- Hansch C.: Quantitative structure-activity relationship in drug design, p. 271, in E. J. Ariens (ed.)Drug Design, Vol. 1, Academic Press, New York 1971.Google Scholar
- Hemker H. C.: The mode of action of dinitrophenols on the different phosphorylating steps.Biochim. Biouhys. Acta 81, 9 (1964).Google Scholar
- Jacobs E. E., Jacob M. H., Sanadi D. R., Bradley L. B.: Uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation by cadmium ion.J. Biol. Chem. 223, 2112 (1956).Google Scholar
- Kollár K.: Electrochemical studies on respiration in yeasts. I. Oxygen consumption. (In Czech)Acta Facult. R.N. Univ. Commen. 12, 371 (1968).Google Scholar
- Kováč L., Hrušovská E.: The effect of carbonyl cyanide p-trifluormethoxy-phenylhydrazone on yeast cells.Folia Microbiol. 12, 56 (1967).Google Scholar
- Mitchel P., Moyle J.: Acid-base titration across the membrane system of rat-liver mitochondria.Biochem. J. 104, 588 (1967).Google Scholar