Narrative warm/cold variations in continental western Europe, AD 708 -1426
- 37 Downloads
An extended narrative dataset of the Medieval time AD 708-1426 in continental western Europe was set up. Some 30-year-moving mean seasonal temperature deviation series were reconstructed. A- warming trend occurred around AD 1200. During the warm stage, seasonal cycle might be weak due to frequent cool summers. Significant warm summer conditions did not occur until the late 14th century, when the annual temperature level began decreasing. The mean warm season temperature level during the late 14th to the early 15th century might be about 0.3°C higher than the present. It was suggested to cautiously comment on historical climates for different seasons.
Keywordshistorical climate narrative records Medieval Warm Epoch seamnal temperature variations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chu, C., A preliminary study on the climatic fluctuations during the last 5 000 years in China,Sci. Sinica, 1973, 16(2): 226.Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, S., Reconstruction of temperature series in north China since 1380 AD,Science in China, Ser. B, 1990, 33(5): 553.Google Scholar
- 7.Alexandre, P.,Le Climat en Europe au Moyen Age, Paris, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales. 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.Vose, R.S., Heim,R., Schmoyer, R. L.et al., The global historical climatology network: long-term monthly temperature, precipitation, sea level pressure and station pressure data, ORNL/CDIAC-53, NDP041,Environmental Sciences Division Publication No. 3912, US Department of Energy, 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.Pfister, C., Lauterburg, A., Spatial variability of climatic change in Europe 1780-1960,Palaoklimaforschung (Palaeoclmate Research), 1992, 7(special issue 2): 177.Google Scholar
- 10.Yan, Z., Climatic changes in eastern China around 1700 AD,Palaoklimaforschung (Palaeoclimate Research), 1994, 13(special issue 8): 317.Google Scholar
- 11.Guiot, J., The combinarion of historical documents and biological data in the reconstruction of climate variations in space and time,Palaoklimaforschung (Palaeoclimate Research), 1992, 7(special issue 2): 93.Google Scholar
- 12.Lavalle, M. J., Garnier, J.,Histoire et Statistique de lu Vigne et des Grands Vins de la Coté-d’ Or, Paris, Dusacq Libraire, 1855.Google Scholar