Possibilities of the conjugation process in mycobacteria
- 24 Downloads
Results obtained when studying conjugation in mycobacteria by means of different methods are summarized. The method of conjugation on surface of a solid complete medium was tested with different auxotrophic mutants of different strains ofMycobacterium smegmatis. It was not possible to obtain positive results even by means of the above method. This was probably due to unsuitability of the chosen strains ofMycobacterium smegmatis. Preparation of the donor strain by transfer of the F factor fromEscherichia coli F’ORF 1ade + lac+ pro+ toMycobacterium phlei PA adeStm r by means of sexduction is described. Frequency of the phenotype PAade + Stmr increased in the average by two and a half orders of magnitude with respect to the control, however, a further transfer from cultures of the cellsade + Stmr to cells ade could not be demonstrated. Experiments aimed at transferring the R factor from strainsEscherichia coli K-12 toMycobacterium phlei were unsuccessful.
KeywordsMyco Donor Strain Mycobacterium Smegmatis Auxotrophic Mutant Cycloserine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Koníčková-Radochová M., Koníček J., Málek I.: The study of mutagenesis inMycobacterium phlei.Folia Microbiol. 15, 88 (1970a).Google Scholar
- Konícková-Radocho’a M., Koníček J., Málek I.: A comparative study of mutagenesis in acid-fast and non-acid-fast strains ofMycobacterium phlei.Folia Microbiol. 15, 192 (1976).Google Scholar
- Koníoková-Radochová M.: The attempt to transfer episome toMycobacterium phlei. Ninth Annual Meeting of the Czechoslovak Society for Microbiology, May 5–7, 1971.Folia Microbiol. 16, 491 (1971).Google Scholar
- Lederberg J.: Isolation and characterization of biochemical mutants of bacteria.Methods in Med. Res. 3, 5 (1950).Google Scholar
- Mizuguchi Y., Tokunaga T.: Recombination betweenMycobacterium smegmatis strains Jucho and Lacticola.Japan J. Microbiol. 15, 359 (1971).Google Scholar