Gibberellin-like activity in cotyledons and embryonic axes during pea seed germination
- 29 Downloads
Endogenous gibberellin-like activity was determined in dry pea seeds (Pisum sativum cv. Bördi), in cotyledons and axes of germinating pea seeds and also in excised cotyledons and axes. During the first two days of pea seed germination, neither the embryonic axes nor the cotyledons show a mutual influence on gibberellin activity, but this appears after 72–96 h of germination. The gibberellin-like activity m cotyledons and axes of germinating seeds increased during the same period, but it decreased in isolated axes and excised cotyledons.
KeywordsGibberellin Embryonic Axis Fresh Matter Gibberellin Activity Bean Cotyledon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Felippe, G. M.: Effects of quaternary ammonium compound and gibberellic acid on the growth of Phaseolus. - Ph. D. Thesis, University of Edinburgh 1967.Google Scholar
- Garcia-Luis, A., Guardiola, J. L.: Gibberellic acid and starch breakdown in pea cotyledons. - Ann. Bot.42: 337–344, 1978.Google Scholar
- Hiraga, H., Yokota, T., Murofushi, N., Takahashi, N.: Isolation and characterisation of gibberellins in mature seeds ofPhaseolus vulgaris. - Agr. biol. Chem.38: 2511–2520, 1974.Google Scholar
- Hota, C., Israelstam, G. F.: Phosphatase activity and gibberellin levels in seeds of dwarf and normal cultivars of pea (Pisum sativum L.). - Z. Pflanzenphysiol.86: 241–249, 1978.Google Scholar
- Locker, A., Ilan, I.: On the nature of the hormonal regulation of amylase activity in cotyledons of germinating peas. -Plant Cell Physiol.16: 449–454, 1975.Google Scholar
- Ogawa, Y.: Changes in the content of gibberellin-like substances in ripening seed and pod of LupinLupinus luteus.- Plant Cell Physiol.4: 85–94, 1963.Google Scholar
- Parys, E., Romanowska, E., Poskuta, J.: Amylase activities in attached and excised cotyledons and in embryonic axes ofPisum sativum L. - Plant Cell Physiol.24: 181–188, 1983.Google Scholar
- Parys, E., Romanowska, E., Poskuta, J.: Does the embryonic axis affect respiration in pea cotyledons? - J. Plant Physiol.115: 153–159, 1984.Google Scholar
- Romanowska, E., Parys, E., Poskuta, J.: Gibberellin-like activity in pea seedlings during growth under red, blue and white light. - Biol. Plant.29: 334–337, 1987.Google Scholar
- Skene, K. G. M., Carr, D. J.: A quantitative study of the gibberellin content of seeds ofPhaseolus vulgaris at different stages in their development. - Aust. J. biol. Sci.14: 13–25, 1961.Google Scholar