The effect of cadmium on potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) shoot culture growth
- 46 Downloads
The uptake of cadmium and its effect on the growth of potato shoot tips grownin vitro were followed in dependence on cadmium concentration in nutrient medium.
Concentration of 10−6M Cd2+did not substantially affect potato plantlet growth dynamics; but the concentration of 10−3 M Cd2+ showed a strong growth inhibitory effect accompanied with increased cadmium accumulation in both root and shoot tissues.
KeywordsCadmium Cadmium Concentration Cadmium Content Cadmium Uptake Potato Plantlet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barceló, J., Poschenrieder, Ch., Andreu, I., Gnsé, B.: Cadmium induced decrease of water stress resistance in bush bean plants (Phaseolus vuigaris L. cv. Contender) 1. Effects of Cd on water potential, relative water content, and cell wall elasticity. - J. Plant Physiol.125: 17–25, 1986.Google Scholar
- Bingham, F. T., Page, A. L., Mahler, R. J., Ganje, T. L.: Growth and Cd accumulation of plant grown on a soil treated with a Cd-enriched sewage sludge.- J. Environ: Qual.4: 207–211, 1975.Google Scholar
- Cibulka, J., Mader, P., Sova, Z.: Pohyb Olova, Kadmia a Rtuti v Zemědělské Výrobě a Biosféře. [Movements of Lead, Cadmium and Mercury in Agricultural Production and the Biosphere.] - Vyd. Min. Zem. Výž. ČSR, Praha 1986.Google Scholar
- Crews, H. M., Davies, B. E.: Heavy metal uptake from contamined soils by six varieties of lettuce (Lacruca saliva L.). - J. agr. Sci.105: 591–595, 1985.Google Scholar
- DomažlickĂ, E., Opatrný, Z.: The effect of cadmium on tobacco cell culture and the selection of potentially Cd-resistant cell lines. - Biol. Plant.31:19–27, 1989.Google Scholar
- Haghiri, F.: Cd uptake by plants. - J. Environ. Qual.2: 93–96, 1973.Google Scholar
- Lamoreaux, R. J., Chaney, R. L.: Growth and water movement in silver maple seedlings affected by cadmium. - J. Environ. Qual.6: 201–205, 1977.Google Scholar
- Page, A. L., Bingham, F. T., Nelson, C.: Cadmium absorption and growth of various plant species as influenced by solution cadmium concentration. - J. Environ. Qual.1: 288–291, 1972.Google Scholar
- Root.R. A., Miller, R. J., Koeppe, D. E.: Uptake of Cd - its toxicity and effect on the iron ratio in hydroponically grown corn. - J. Environ. Qual.4: 473–476, 1975.Google Scholar