Adenomas of the rectum and the sigmoid in alcoholics: A sigmoidoscopic study
The incidence of adenoma of the rectum and the sigmoid is much greater in alcoholics than in non-alcoholics. In a series of 5,980 patients sigmoidoscopy disclosed these tumors in 3.37 per cent of the non-alcoholic females and 5.46 per cent of the non-alcoholic males in contrast to 11.56 per cent of the alcoholic females and 18.23 per cent of the alcoholic males.
In view of the great malignant potential of this tumor these findings become significant. Alcoholism, therefore, identifies a group of 3,000,000 individuals for whom routine sigmoidoscopy is of great value for the prevention and possible cure of cancer.
A plea is made for routine sigmoidoscopy and X-Ray examination of the colon of all patients suffering from chronic alcoholism.
KeywordsAdenoma Pernicious Anemia Polypoid Lesion Gamma Globulin Chronic Atrophic Gastritis
- 1.The Intrinsic Factor and Oral B12, Scope, Vol. 111, No. I, p. 16, Aug. 1950.Google Scholar
- 2.Schindler, R.: Jr. National Cancer Inst. Vol. 7: p. 412–413, April 1947.Google Scholar
- 3.Velde, G.: Die Beziehungen zwischen pernizioser Anamie, Magenpolypen and Magencarcinom, Ztschr. F. Klin., Med. 134: p. 653–670, 1938.Google Scholar
- 4.Rigler, Leo G. and Kaplan, H. S.: Pernicious Anemia and Tumors of the Stomach, Jr. Nat’l Cancer Inst., Vol. 7, No. 5, p. 327 April 1947.Google Scholar
- 5.Ungley, C. C.: Discussion of E. Meulengracht’s paper: The Glands of the Stomach in Relation to Pernicious Anemia, Proc. Roy. Soc, Med. Vol. 28, p. 841, May 1935.Google Scholar
- 7.Ivy, A. C: Jr. Nat’l Cancer Institute, Vol. 7, p. 404, April 1947.Google Scholar
- 8.Jenner, A. W. F.: Perniziose Anomie and Magenkarzenom, Acta Med., Scandinav. 102: 529–590, 1939.Google Scholar
- 9.Weber, Harry: Significance of the Intestinal Polypoid Lesion, J. A. M. A., Vol. 142, No. 10, p. 693, March 11, 1950.Google Scholar
- 10.Buie, Louis A., Smith, N. D., Jackman, R. J. and Hill, J. R.: Polypoid Lesion of the Colon, J. A. M. A., Vol. 139, p. 702, March 12, 1949.Google Scholar
- 11.Scarborough, R. A. and Klein, R.R.: Polypoid Lesions of the Colon and the Rectum, Am. Jr. Surg., p. 723, Dec. 1948.Google Scholar
- 12.Bachus, Henry L.: Gastro-enterology, Vol. 11; p. 745, Phil., W. B. Saunders Co.Google Scholar
- 13.Jackman, R. J., Neibling, H. A. and Waugh, J. M.: Carcinoma of the Large Intestine; J. A. M. A., Vol. 136, No. 6, p. 1287, Aug. 16, 1947.Google Scholar
- 14.Alcoholism—Studies by a Special Committee of the California Medical Association; Calif. Med., Vol. 72 p. 40, Jan. 1950.Google Scholar