Enzymatic activity in basidiomycetes
The oxidation-reduction activity of the basidiomyceteOudemansiella mucida was studied in relation to its growth in a laboratory fermentor. Cytochromes were detected in the mycelium destroyed by sonication, flavin diaphorase, polyphenoloxidase, peroxidase and catalase were found to be present in the mycelial homogenate from Waring-blendor. The obtained values of the enzymatic activity were dependent on the method of preparation of the mycelium. Homogenization in a Waring-blendor was the most appropriate. Certain interrelationships between the appearance and activity of the enzymes followed and the phase of submerged growth of the fungus were shown. The results document the succession of cytochromes, flavins and polyphenoloxidase and the specific time differences of the activity of catalase and that of peroxidase.
KeywordsCatalase Flavin Sodium Dithionite Trace Trace Laboratory Fermentor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bekker, Z. E.:Physiology of fungi and their practical use. (In Russian). Izd. moskovsk. univ. 1963.Google Scholar
- Belozerskiy, A. N., Proskuryakov, N. I.:Practical manual to the plant biochemistry. (In Russian). Gosudar. izdat. Sovietskaya nauka, Moskva 1951.Google Scholar
- Cochrane, V.W.:Physiology of fungi. J. Wiley & Sons, N. Y. 1958.Google Scholar
- Dikanskaya, E. M.:Formation of riboflavin by the microscopic fungus Eremothecium ashbyi. (In Russian). Trudy Inst. Mikrobiol. Akad. Nauk 3: 35, 1954.Google Scholar
- Gunsalus, I. C., Stanier, R. Y. (Eds.):The Bacteria. A treatise on structure and function. Vol. II: Metabolism. Acad. Press, N. Y. 1961.Google Scholar
- Hayaishi, O.:Oxygenases. Acad. Press, N. Y., 1962.Google Scholar
- Kaprálek, F.:Regularities in course of the submerged cultivation of Eremothecium ashbyi. (In Czech). Preslia 29: 113, 1957.Google Scholar
- Kaprálek, F.:The physiology of riboflavin production by Eremothecium ashbyi. J. Gen. Microbiol. 29: 403, 1962.Google Scholar
- Lindenmann, J.:Triphenyl-Tetrazolium-Chlorid zur Messung der Dehydrogenaseaktivität von Escherichia coli. Schw. Zeitschr. Allgem. Path. Bakt. 17: 311, 1954.Google Scholar
- Lyr, H.:Enzymatische Detoxification der Kernholztoxine. Flora 152: 570, 1962b.Google Scholar
- Opel, H., Wolfgang, H., Kegler, H.:Untersuchungen über den Stoffwechsel viruskranker Pflanzen. II. Aktivitätsbestimmungen einiger Enzyme in Kotyledonen viruskranker Gurkenpflanzen. Phytopath. Zeitschr. 42: 62, 1961.Google Scholar
- Usami, S., Kaneko, A.:Studies on growth and respiration of a mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus. J. Fac. Sci., Hokkaido Univ., Series V, 8: 212, 1965.Google Scholar