Chemical modification of isotactic polypropylene by melt blending
The branched polypropylene (b-PP) was prepared by melt blending process with initiator, antioxidant, and functional monomers to improve the melt strength through the melt grafting. The melt flow index (MFI) of theb-PP was increased with increasing the initiator content. On the introduction of the alkylamine as the branching agents the MFI of theb-PP was increased, while that of theb-PP with the pentaerythritol triacrylate (PT) was decreased. It may be caused by the chain scission of thei-PP backbone due to the reduced thermal stability of thei-PP on the melt blending. The MFI of theb-PP without the antioxidant was increased due to the chain scission occurred during the melt processing, while on the introduction of the antioxidant, the MFI of theb-PP was decreased. The crystallization temperature of theb-PP was higher than that of PP, which was attributed to the branched chain structure. It was found that the PT was the most effective functional monomers for enhancing the melt properties of theb-PP.
KeywordsBranching Gel content Isotactic polypropylene Melt strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J. L. Throne in “Thermoforming”, Hanser Publishers, Munich, Vienna, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.D. V. Rosato in “Blow Molding Handbook”, Hanser Publishers, Munich, Vienna, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.J. N. McDonald in “Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering”, 2nd ed. (H. F. Mark, N. M. Bikales, C. G. Overberger, and G, Menges Eds.), Vol. 16, p.807, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1989.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Noma, T. Murata, Y. Masubuchi, J. Takimoto, and K. Koyama,Polym. Prep. Jpn.,46, 3829 (1997).Google Scholar
- 20.M. Xanthos in “Reactive Extrusion: Principles and Practice”, New York, Hanser, 1992.Google Scholar
- 21.L. S. Huang, S. H. Goh, and S. H. Ong in “The Chemistry of Free Radicals”, London, Edward Arnold, 1973.Google Scholar
- 25.H. C. Kim and Y. D. Kong,Polym. Sci. Tech.,7, 59 (1996).Google Scholar
- 26.R. P. Iliev, C. B. Park, G. Liu, and F. Liu,ANTEC, 934 (2000).Google Scholar
- 27.V. V. DeMaio, D. Dong, and A. Gupta,ANTEC, 236 (2000).Google Scholar
- 28.D. W. Yu, S. K. Dey, F. Pringgosusanto, and M. Xanthos,ANTEC, 596 (2000).Google Scholar
- 31.A. J. DeNicola, A. F. Galambos, and M. D. Wolkowicz in “Polymeric Materials Science and Engineering”, ACS Fall Meeting, Vol. 67, p.106, Washington DC, USA, 1992.Google Scholar
- 32.F. Rybnikar, L. Pospisil, and J. Jankar,J. Mater. Sci. Lett.,9, 499 (1990).Google Scholar