Fission track annealing and age determination of hornblende
- 20 Downloads
Hornblende which occurs in igneous and metamorphic rocks is well suited for age determination by the fission track method. The tracks which are readily etched in hydrofluoric acid are annealed in 1 hr at 530° C. Extrapolation of the experimentally determined temperatures suggest that a temperature of 200° C for one m.y. will erase all the tracks present before the heating. Fission track ages of hornblende agree with the main orogenic metamorphic cycles.
KeywordsFission track annealing age determination hornblende
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burnett D, Monnin M, Seitz M, Walker R and Yuhas D 1971 GCAProceedings of the Second Lunar Science Conference, Houston, Texas Google Scholar
- Gupta M L, Mehta P P and Nagpaul K K 1971Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 9 446Google Scholar
- Mehta P P and Nagpaul K K 1970Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 8 397Google Scholar
- Sarkar S N, Polkanov A A, Gerling E K and Chukrov F V 1964Sci. Cult. 30 527Google Scholar
- Sarkar S N 1968Pre-cambrian stratigraphy and geochronology of peninsular India (Dhanbad Publishers, India)Google Scholar
- Venkatasubramaniam V S, Iyer S S and Pal S 1971Amer. J. Sci. 270 43Google Scholar