A small sample-size automated adiabatic calorimeter from 70 to 580 K
- 33 Downloads
An automatic adiabatic calorimeter for measuring heat capacities in the temperature range 70-580 K, equipped with a small sample cell of 7.4 cm3 in the internal volume has been developed. In order to obtain a good adiabatic condition of the calorimeter at high temperature, the calorimeter was surrounded in sequence by two adiabatic shields, three radiation shields and an auxiliary temperature-controlled sheath. The main body of the cell made of copper and the lid made of brass are silver-soldered and the cell is sealed with a copper screw cap. A sealing gasket made of Pb-Sn alloy is put between the cap and the lid to ensure a high vacuum sealing of the cell in the whole experimental temperature range. All the leads are insulated and fixed with W30-11 varnish, thus a good electric insulation is obtained at high temperature. All the experimental data, including those for energy and temperature are collected and automatically with a personal computer using a predetermined program. To verify the accuracy of the calorimeter, the heat capacities of α-Al2O3 of the calorimetric standard reference material is measured. The standard deviations of experimental heat capacity values from the smoothed values are within ± 0.28%, while the inaccuracy is within ±0.4% compared with those of the National Bureau of Standards over the entire working temperature range.
Keywordsadiabatic calorimetry calorimetric technique heat capacity α-Al2O2 small sample
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tan Zhi-cheng, Zhou Li-xing, Chen Su-xia et al., A precision adiabatic calorimeter for measurement of heat capacities of aqueous solution of ethylene glycol,Kexue Tongbao, 1979, 18: 835.Google Scholar
- 2.Tan Zhi-cheng, Zhou Li-xing, Yin An-xue et al., An automatic adiabatic calorimeter for heat capacity mesurements from 80 to 370 K and heat capacities of α-alumina and n-heptane,Acta Chimica Sinica, 1980, 38(6): 511.Google Scholar
- 3.Tan Zhi-cheng, Zhou Li-xing, Chen Su-xia et al., An adiabatic calorimeter for heat capacity mesurements from 80 to 400 K—Heat capacities of α-alumina and n-heptane,Scientia Sinica, Ser B, 1983, 26: 1014.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang Zhi-ying, An automated adiabatic calorimeter for use from 80 to 600 K—Heat capacities of α-alumina,Scientia Sinica, Ser B, 1986, 5: 469.Google Scholar
- 13.Ditmars, D. A., Ishihara, S., Chang, S. S. et al., Enthalpy and heat-capacity standard reference material: Synthetic sapphire (α-Al2O3) from 10 to 2250 K,J. Res. Natl. Bur. Stands., 1982, 87(2): 159.Google Scholar