Studies on the antiperoxide and antihaemolytic action of polyamines using human erythrocytes
Blood RBC's were used to study the role of polyamines, putrescine, spermidine and spermine individually as antioxidants against the peroxidative action of H2O2 which leads to haemolysis of erythrocytes. Results indicated that putrescine did not act as antioxidant at all concentrations used in our studies. However, spermidine and spermine suppressed peroxidative changes in RBC's due to the action of H2O2 and this suppression was greater with higher concentration of these individual polyamines used, separately. Further, all the three polyamines decreased haemolysis of erythrocytes at all concentrations studied. The action of putrescine to suppress haemolysis of RBC's without showing antioxidant property hypothetically suggests that these properties of respective polyamines may have independent mechanism of action.
Key WordsPutrescine spermidine spermine lipid peroxidation erythrocytes haemolysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heby, O. (1986). Putrescine, spermidine and spermine. News Physiol. Sci. 1, 12–15.Google Scholar
- 6.Tadoline, B. (1988) Polyamine inhibition of lipid peroxidation, the influence on iron oxidation in the presence of compounds mimicking phospholipid polar heads. Biochem.J. 249, 33–36.Google Scholar
- 7.Southern, P.A. and Powis, G. (1988) Free radicals in Medicine: Chemical nature and biologic reactions. Mayo Clin. Proc. 63, 381–389.Google Scholar
- 8.Halliwell, B. and Chirico, S. (1993) Lipid peroxidation, its mechanism measurement and significance. J. Clin. Nutri. 57, 715–725.Google Scholar
- 11.Varley, H. (1988) Haemoglobin and related compounds. Practical Clinical Biochem. 4th Indian ed., CBS Publ., Delhi p. 585–586.Google Scholar
- 14.Khanna, Y.P., Taneja, S.K., Raj, H.G.S. and Venktasubramanian, T.A. (1982) Polyamines modify paraquat induced changes in pulmonary superoxide dismutase and lipid peroxidation. Res. Comm. Chem. Pathol. Pharmacol. 35, 337–340.Google Scholar
- 15.Matcovics, B., KecsKemeti, V., Varga, S.I., Novak, Z. and Kertesz, Z. (1993) Antioxidant properties of di and polyamines. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 104, 475–479.Google Scholar
- 17.Gupta, K.P. and Mehrotra, N.K. (1993) Ornithine decarboxylase inactivation by putrescine: involvement of lipid peroxidation. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Intl. 30, 697–704.Google Scholar