In vitro released antigens in diagnosis and immunomonitoring of filaria and tuberculosis
- 25 Downloads
In vitro released antigens by living parasites or bacteria underin vitro maintenance or short term culture showing specific humoral immune response have been explored in development of immunodiagnostics for infectious diseases such as filariasis and tuberculosis in our laboratory. ELISA usingB. malayi mf ES antigen has been explored for detecting IgG antibody by Indirect ELISA and antigen by Inhibition ELISA and in immunomonitoring of carriers as well as clinical filarial cases. A ten year follow up of mf carriers with DEC therapy showed disapperance of antigen and antibody followed by reappearance in few cases in an endemic area. None of the cases followed developed clinical symptoms suggesting the need for long term monitoring and treatment of microfilaraemic carriers. Further immunomonitoring was found to be useful in confirming filaria aetiology in the absence of microfilaremia and determining appropriate period of treatment of acute, early clinical and occult filarial infections for clinical relief and cure.
Indirect Stick Penicillinase ELISA system using Mtb EST-6 antigen for detecting tuberculous IgG antibody and a Sandwich Penicillinase ELISA system using affinity purified antibody for detecting circulating antigen were explored in tuberculosis. A combination of both the assay systems with a sensitivity of 70% and specificity of 98% was found to be promising in the precise diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. Further antigen detection was found to be useful in bone and joint tuberculosis.
Key WordsES antigens ELISA Immunodiagnostics Immunomonitoring filariasis tuberculosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Parkhe, K.A., Prasad, G.B.K.S., Das, A., Harinath, B.C., Roebber, M. and Hamilton, R.G. (1986). Disc/stick ELISA for diagnosis of bancroftian filariasis. Ind. J. Exp. Biol. 24: 437–439.Google Scholar
- 2.Alikhan, A., Parkhe, K.A., Reddy, M.V.R. and Harinath, B.C. (1990). Filarial antigen, antibody and circulating immunecomplexed antigen levels in bancroftian filariasis by stick ELISA. The National Med. J. India. 3, 265–268.Google Scholar
- 3.Harinath, B.C. and Reddy, M.V.R. (1997). Diagnosis and immunomonitoring in the successful management of bancroftian filariasis. J Parasitic Diseases. 21, 41–51.Google Scholar
- 6.Bhaskar, A., Pradhan, P., Chaturvedi, P., Basak, A., Lodam, A., Narang, P. and Harinath, B.C. (1994) Immunodiagnosis of childhood pulmonary and extra-pulmonary tuberculosis usingMycobacterium tuberculosis ES antigen by penicillinase ELISA. Annal. Trop. Paediatr. 14, 25–30Google Scholar
- 7.Lodam, A.N., Reddy, M.V.R., Narang, P., Gupta, O.P. and Harinath, B.C. (1996). Fractionation, analysis and diagnostic utility ofMycobacterium tuberculosis H37Ra excretory-secretory antigen in pulmonary tuberculosis. Indian J.Biochem. and Biophy. 33, 66–71Google Scholar