Metal ion complexation of hydrophilic polymeric amino ligands derived from tetraethyleneglycol diacrylate (TTEGDA)-crosslinked polyacrylamides
- 22 Downloads
Complexation behaviour of amino ligands supported on polyacrylamides with 2–20 mol% of tetraethyleneglycol diacrylate crosslinks was investigated towards Co(II), Ni(II), Cu(II), Zn(II) and Hg(II) ions. The metal ion intake was dependent on the extent of crosslinking and followed the order: Hg(II)>Cu(II)>Zn(II)>Ni(II)>Co(II). The aminopolyacrylamides and their metal complexes were characterised by IR and EPR techniques. The absorptions of the ligands were shifted by complexation with metal ions and the EPR spectrum suggested distorted tetragonal geometry for the Cu(II) complex. The thermogravimetric analysis of the metal complexes revealed a pattern of variation of thermal stability on incorporation of metal ions. The kinetics and adsorption parameters of complexation, swelling characteristics, recyclability and specificity of metal-desorbed systems are also described.
KeywordsPolymer-metal complexes crosslinked polyacrylamides amine-metal complexes specificity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adamson A W 1990Physical chemistry of surfaces (New York: J Wiley)Google Scholar
- Chandy M C and Pillai V N R 1991Polymer science: Contemporary themes (ed.) S Sivaram (New Delhi: McGraw Hill)Google Scholar
- Ciardelli F, Altomare A, Conti G, Arribas G, Mendez B and Ismayel A 1994Macromol. Sym. 80 29Google Scholar
- Laidler K J 1986Chemical kinetics (New York: Harper and Row)Google Scholar
- Pillai V N R and Mathew B 1993Indian J. Technol. 31 302Google Scholar
- Warshawsky A 1988 InSyntheses and separations using functional polymers (eds) D C Sherrington and P Hodge (New York: Wiley)Google Scholar