Numerical simulation of mold filling in resin transfer molding using isoparametric method
- 104 Downloads
The mold filling of RTM was simulated based on the control volume finite element method (CV/FEM). The formulation using isoparametric transformation was discussed in detail and a computational code based on isoparametric technique was developed. The simulation results were compared with experimental data. Different isoparametric elements, quadrilateral and triangular, were compared in the simulation. It demonstrates that the use of bilinear quadrilateral isoparametric elements in simulating the process can produce a higher precision and cost a less time than the use of triangular ones.
Key wordsresin transfer molding control volume finite element method isoparametric element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T Richardson.Composites, A Design Guide. New York: Industrial Press Inc, 1987Google Scholar
- Kevin Potter.Resin Transfer Molding. New York: Chapman & Hall Press, 1997Google Scholar
- Ayogi H, Uenoyama M, Guceri S I. Analysis and Simulation of Structural Reaction Injection Molding (SRIM).International Polymer Processing, 1992, 7: 71–83Google Scholar
- Bruno A, Molina G, Betracchi G, Moroni A. Flow Behavior in RTM: Numerical Simulation.Advanced Composite Materials: New Developments and Applications Conference Proceedings, 1991: 217–223Google Scholar
- Lin R, Lee L J, Liou M. Non-isothermal Mold Filling Curing Simulation in Thin Cavities with Preplaced Fiber Mats.International Polymer Processing VI, 1991, 4: 356–369Google Scholar
- O C Zienkiewicz, R L Taylor.The Finite Element Method, New York: McGraw-hill Book Company, 1989Google Scholar