Modulation of convulsive threshold of pentylene tetrazole by zinc
- 26 Downloads
In the present study which was aimed to see the effect of zinc on pentylenetetrazole induced convulsive threshold in rats we found that zinc sulfate 100 μg intracerebroventricularly) and pentylenetetrazole (50 mg/kg intraperitoneally) produced dose related seizure activity; however, pretreatment with zinc decreased the threshold, increased the severity, incidence of multiple seizures and total duration of pentylenetetrazole induced seizures. Diazepam (5 mg/kg intraperitoneally) pretreatment increased the threshold and lowered the incidence of convulsions in zinc induced seizures which further confirms that the convulsive effect of zinc is through inhibition of gamma aimino butyric acid.
Key WordsZinc Pentylentetrazole Diazepam GABA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Purpura, D.P., Penry, J.K., Tower, D.B., Woodbury, D.M. and Walter, R.D. (1972) Experimental models of epilepsy. Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 8.Pei, Y. and Xie, S. (1980) A new experimental model of epilepsy. Yao Hsuch Hsuch Pao. 15, 113–117.Google Scholar
- 9.Tokuoka, S. (1967) Neurochemical consideration on the alleviating effect of caudal resection of the pancreas on epileptic seizure relationship of zinc metabolism to brain excitability. Bull Yamaguchi Med. Sch. 14, 1–18.Google Scholar
- 11.Papavasiion, P.S., Kutt, M., Miller, S.T., Rosal, V., Wang, Y.Y. and Aronson, R.B. (1979) Seizure disorders and trace metal, manganese tissue levels in treated epileptics. Neurology. 29, 1466–1479.Google Scholar
- 13.Mares, P. and Schickerova, R. (1980) Seizures elicited by subcutaneous injection of Metrazole during ontogenesis in rats. Act. Nerv. Super. 22, 264–268.Google Scholar
- 14.Lacoste, L. and Bartolucci, S. (1987) Pentylenetetrazole inhibits glutamate dehydrogenase and aspartate aminotransferase, and stimulates GABA aminotransferase in homogenates from rat cerebral cortex. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 66, 1135–1138.Google Scholar